Solving Momentum Question: Tennis Ball vs Putty Ball

• Thread starter kylepetten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation is about a person preparing for an upcoming exam and seeking help with a physics question. They have the answer key and know that the correct answer is a) for the question about the change in momentum between a tennis ball and a putty ball thrown against a brick wall. They are confused about how this answer is derived and receive guidance from others in the conversation.
kylepetten
Hello!

I am doing a sample exam that was given out last year so I can prepare for this years coming exam, which means I also have the answer key. So, I know the answer to the question but I am no sure how to get it. Please help, thanks.

A tennis ball and a ball made of putty of the same mass are thrown against a brick wall. Which of the following statements is true?

a) the change in momentum of the tennis ball is greater
b) the change in momentum of the putty ball is greater
c) the change in momentum of both balls are the same
d) the change in momentum of both objects is zero

I know the answer is a), but I don't understand how it is. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The tennis ball will rebound; the putty ball will stick to the wall.

Stonebridge said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The tennis ball will rebound; the putty ball will stick to the wall.

Ahh, I guess I was thinking too hard for that, haha. Thanks.

1. Can the momentum of a tennis ball and putty ball be equal?

Yes, the momentum of a tennis ball and putty ball can be equal if they have the same mass and velocity. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity, so if these two factors are the same for both balls, their momentum will also be equal.

2. Does the type of ball affect its momentum?

Yes, the type of ball does affect its momentum. Different types of balls have different masses and velocities, which directly impact their momentum. For example, a heavier ball will have a greater momentum than a lighter ball with the same velocity.

3. How does the surface affect the momentum of a ball?

The surface can affect the momentum of a ball in several ways. A smoother surface will result in less friction, allowing the ball to maintain its momentum for a longer period of time. On the other hand, a rough surface will cause more friction and slow down the ball's momentum.

4. Can the momentum of a ball change during a collision?

Yes, the momentum of a ball can change during a collision. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that if one ball's momentum increases, the other ball's momentum will decrease by the same amount.

5. How can we calculate the momentum of a ball?

The momentum of a ball can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula can be used to calculate the momentum of any object, not just balls.