Solving Circuits with Multiple Cells & Capacitors

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify a circuit with multiple cells and numerous capacitors in both parallel and series. The speaker suggests working out the single cap values for any that are in series or parallel to reduce the number of capacitors. They also recommend redrawing the circuit accordingly. This method can simplify the circuit and reduce the number of capacitors by around 8. The speaker concludes by mentioning that this approach can be helpful as a reference, but it is not necessary to solve the example.
MathewsMD
For the circuit posted (or any similar circuits really), how do we simplify to determine the equivalent capacitance, voltage and charge of the system? With multiple batteries, how does this affect the circuit? Sorry for not posting in the homework section. It's just that I don't really need an answer and would like insight in general on how circuits with multiple cells and numerous capacitors (that look like they are in both parallel and series, with different capacitors) are understood. I'm sure an explanation of how to solve this example would help, but it's not necessary and I thought it would be good to have as a reference.Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 9.38.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 9.38.42 PM.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

initially you can simplify it by working out the single cap values for any that are in series or parallel
there will for a start reduce the number of caps ( would be just the same if they were all resistors instead of caps)

so for a start, every obvious set of series cap reduce that to a single cap and redraw the circuit accordingly
that's immediately going to get rid of ~ 8 caps
then do the same for all parallel sets and redraw

cheers
Dave

1. How do I calculate the total voltage in a circuit with multiple cells?

To calculate the total voltage in a circuit with multiple cells, add the individual voltage of each cell together. For example, if you have three cells with voltages of 5V, 7V, and 9V, the total voltage in the circuit would be 5V + 7V + 9V = 21V.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total capacitance in a circuit with multiple capacitors?

The formula for calculating the total capacitance in a circuit with multiple capacitors is Ctotal = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of each capacitor in the circuit.

3. How do I find the equivalent resistance in a circuit with multiple cells and capacitors?

To find the equivalent resistance in a circuit with multiple cells and capacitors, you can use the Kirchhoff's laws or the equivalent resistance formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component in the circuit.

4. Can I use Ohm's law to solve circuits with multiple cells and capacitors?

Yes, you can use Ohm's law to solve circuits with multiple cells and capacitors. However, you must consider the total resistance and the total voltage in the circuit when applying the formula V = IR.

5. How do I handle parallel and series circuits with multiple cells and capacitors?

In a parallel circuit, the total voltage remains the same while the total capacitance and resistance are affected. In a series circuit, the total capacitance remains the same while the total voltage and resistance are affected. To solve these types of circuits, you can use the appropriate formulas for calculating the total voltage, capacitance, and resistance as mentioned in the previous questions.