Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monster Capacitors

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    For the circuit posted (or any similar circuits really), how do we simplify to determine the equivalent capacitance, voltage and charge of the system? With multiple batteries, how does this affect the circuit? Sorry for not posting in the homework section. It's just that I don't really need an answer and would like insight in general on how circuits with multiple cells and numerous capacitors (that look like they are in both parallel and series, with different capacitors) are understood. I'm sure an explanation of how to solve this example would help, but it's not necessary and I thought it would be good to have as a reference.Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

initially you can simplify it by working out the single cap values for any that are in series or parallel
    there will for a start reduce the number of caps ( would be just the same if they were all resistors instead of caps)

so for a start, every obvious set of series cap reduce that to a single cap and redraw the circuit accordingly
    that's immediately going to get rid of ~ 8 caps
    then do the same for all parallel sets and redraw

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook