Are Haaland's equations always accurate for engineering calculations?

• Thread starter rhino970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary: Yeah, you're probably right. In my world, if the flow isn't turbulent, then the pipe is too big. I must have forgotten that many people live in other worlds.In summary, the Colebrook, Haaland, and Swamee equations can be used in engineering work but may not always give the most accurate solution. The Haaland and Swamee-Jain equations are approximations of the Colebrook equation which are easier to solve. However, they are less accurate.
rhino970
What is the usability of the Colebrook, Haaland, and Swamee equations in engineering work and the need or not to tailor the equation selection i.e. will Haaland always work or in some circumstance should a different equation be used? What about the iterative Colebrook vs. the explicit Haaland? Is it better to iterate or just get a direct albeit more inaccurate (maybe?) friction factor from Haaland? etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Colebrook equation will give you the most accurate solution but it can be difficult to solve for because it requires iteration. Because of this, the Haaland and Swamee-Jain equations were created and are approximations of the Colebrook equation which are much easier to solve. As they are only approximations they are also less accurate. Sine this isn't 1963 and just about everyone has a computer with Excel on it, it's best just to use the Colebrook equation for the most accurate solution.

Not to disagree with Topher, but beware the 'need for accuracy' in calculations using the Moody chart. It irritates me to see calcs with the friction factor determined to 6 significant figures; irritating because it projects an image of precision not inherent in the method. By which I mean, if you are designing a system, you should consider that the actual losses will be as calculated, plus or minus 10 or 20 %. So, don't sweat over the friction factor to any higher 'accuracy' than that.

The only reason I can see for using a formula (vs manual reference to the actual diagram or chart) is because people develop automated methods that they wish to use in unknown future situations. If you know the conditions are fully turbulent (ie, 99% of real-world calcs) then all you need is the fT vs pipe size table (eg, Crane page A-26).

Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

gmax137 said:
Not to disagree with Topher, but beware the 'need for accuracy' in calculations using the Moody chart. It irritates me to see calcs with the friction factor determined to 6 significant figures; irritating because it projects an image of precision not inherent in the method. By which I mean, if you are designing a system, you should consider that the actual losses will be as calculated, plus or minus 10 or 20 %. So, don't sweat over the friction factor to any higher 'accuracy' than that.

The only reason I can see for using a formula (vs manual reference to the actual diagram or chart) is because people develop automated methods that they wish to use in unknown future situations. If you know the conditions are fully turbulent (ie, 99% of real-world calcs) then all you need is the fT vs pipe size table (eg, Crane page A-26).

Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

I disagree that "99% of real-world calcs" are in the fully turbulent region on a Moody Diagram. Low pressure steam, water, compressed air and ducted air under normal conditions fall in "Transition Zone" of Moody's original 1944 diagram or the "Rough with Re Dependence" in more current versions of Moody's. Does anybody know why the Moody diagram has been modified?

tglester said:
I disagree that "99% of real-world calcs" are in the fully turbulent region on a Moody Diagram.

Yeah, you're probably right. In my world, if the flow isn't turbulent, then the pipe is too big. I must have forgotten that many people live in other worlds.

I still think, though, that some go too far in seeking accuracy in calcs like this.

1. What is the purpose of the Moody Diagram?

The Moody Diagram is used to determine the friction factor in pipes for fluid flow, which is an important parameter in various engineering calculations. It helps to visualize the relationship between the Reynolds number, relative roughness, and friction factor.

2. How do I read the Moody Diagram?

The x-axis of the Moody Diagram represents the Reynolds number, and the y-axis represents the friction factor. The curved lines on the diagram represent different relative roughness values. To use the diagram, first determine the Reynolds number and then follow the corresponding curve to find the friction factor.

3. What is the significance of the friction factor in fluid flow?

The friction factor is a measure of the resistance to fluid flow in a pipe. It affects the pressure drop, head loss, and flow rate in a system. Accurate determination of the friction factor is crucial in designing and analyzing piping systems.

4. What are the different equations associated with the Moody Diagram?

The most commonly used equations for the Moody Diagram are the Colebrook equation, the Swamee-Jain equation, and the Haaland equation. These equations relate the friction factor to the Reynolds number and relative roughness and allow for more accurate calculation of the friction factor.

5. Can the Moody Diagram be used for all types of fluids?

The Moody Diagram is primarily used for incompressible fluids, such as water or oil. It can also be used for compressible fluids, but with some modifications to the equations. Additionally, the Moody Diagram is limited to single-phase flow and cannot be used for two-phase flow systems.