Moon Signal Bounce: How Is the Returned Laser Signal Received?

In summary, the Moon Signal Bounce is a technique used to study the surface of the moon by reflecting a laser beam off its surface and measuring the time it takes for the signal to return. The returned laser signal is received through specialized equipment such as telescopes and detectors, which are used to analyze the characteristics of the signal, such as its intensity and wavelength. This allows scientists to gather valuable data about the composition and topography of the moon's surface.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I've been reading on how the distance to the moon is calculated by bouncing a laser signal on the retro-reflectors and measuring the time it takes the light to return to Earth, but what I've seen is that the retro-reflectors do a good job of minimizing scattering by returning the signal along the same direction in which it arrived.

Since the light takes approximately 2.5 seconds to reach the moon and back, and since being near the equator of the Earth, the rotational speed is about 1,600km/h on the surface or about 1.2km / 2.5s, so my question is how do the experimenters receive the signal if the retro-reflectors bounce the signal back to where the signal was first emitted which by that point is 1.2km off the mark?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it probably has to do with beam divergence.

Mentallic said:
Actually, it probably has to do with beam divergence.

Yep. A laser beam spreads to something like a mile or so by the time it reaches the moon if I remember correctly.

Typical retro-reflectors also give a little divergence.

Drakkith said:
Yep. A laser beam spreads to something like a mile or so by the time it reaches the moon if I remember correctly.

And the small portion of reflected light would diverge by the same amount when it hits the Earth again?

I like Serena said:
Typical retro-reflectors also give a little divergence.

By divergence, I'm talking about how laser lights will expand into a cone shape. Do you mean scattering?

Mentallic said:
And the small portion of reflected light would diverge by the same amount when it hits the Earth again?

By divergence, I'm talking about how laser lights will expand into a cone shape. Do you mean scattering?

The reflected light would have a diverging angle that is much smaller.
That is because the part of the cone that actually hits the retro-reflectors has a very small diverging angle.

However, the angle between the mirrors in retro-reflector material is intentionally not exactly 90 degrees.
So the returning beam will have a cone shape again.

Mentallic said:
I've been reading on how the distance to the moon is calculated by bouncing a laser signal on the retro-reflectors and measuring the time it takes the light to return to Earth, but what I've seen is that the retro-reflectors do a good job of minimizing scattering by returning the signal along the same direction in which it arrived.

Since the light takes approximately 2.5 seconds to reach the moon and back, and since being near the equator of the Earth, the rotational speed is about 1,600km/h on the surface or about 1.2km / 2.5s, so my question is how do the experimenters receive the signal if the retro-reflectors bounce the signal back to where the signal was first emitted which by that point is 1.2km off the mark?

If the retro-reflectors were that accurate, the signal would actually ahead(to the east) of the laser, because the moon moves at about 1 km/s, so the beam has to be sent to a point 1.25 km ahead of the reflector, and will be reflected to a point 2.5 km ahead of the laser, while the Earth has only moved 1.2 km in that time.

This article says..

http://www.fesg.bv.tum.de/91872-bD1lbg-~fesg~forschung~llr.html

..arriving at the Moon, the laser pulse has a diameter of more than 5 km.

returning to the ground station the reflected pulses show diameters of more than 5 km

A single pulse has a diameter of 75 cm and is only 6 cm long

The pulses are short enough that a very large number can be sent before any come back.

This is just semi related, but might be interesting to some. In the days before human-made communication satellites, we were using a natural one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EME_(communications )
Earth-Moon-Earth, also known as moon bounce, is a radio communications technique which relies on the propagation of radio waves from an Earth-based transmitter directed via reflection from the surface of the Moon back to an Earth-based receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mentallic said:

This is not what they achieve - because, when they receive the echo, they are not in the position that they were when the pulse was emitted. All that is necessary is for the reflector to reflect sufficient light in the direction of where they will be 5 seconds later. The angle that this represents is very small, surely? (1.2km in 380Mm = about one second of arc, I think)

@CWatters: If you send the pulses at a rate that is faster than the transit time, you can get a false distance measurement because you can get the phase of the transmitted and received pulse streams wrong. I do agree that you can eliminate this problem by starting with widely spaced pulses and working up, so you can increase the signal to noise ratio and, hence, the accuracy.

What is Moon Signal Bounce and how is it related to lasers?

Moon Signal Bounce is a phenomenon where a laser beam is sent to the moon and then bounces back, creating a returned laser signal. This signal is used to study the properties of the moon's surface and its distance from Earth.

How is the returned laser signal received?

The returned laser signal is received using a specialized telescope called a Lunar Laser Ranging (LLR) system. This system is equipped with a detector that can measure the time it takes for the laser beam to travel to the moon and back.

What is the purpose of studying the returned laser signal?

Studying the returned laser signal helps scientists to precisely measure the distance between the Earth and the moon. This allows for a better understanding of the moon's orbit and its gravitational effects on Earth.

What are the challenges involved in receiving the returned laser signal?

One of the main challenges is the weak nature of the returned laser signal. The signal is very faint and can easily be affected by atmospheric disturbances and other external factors. This requires careful calibration and precise equipment to accurately receive the signal.

What other information can be obtained from studying the returned laser signal?

In addition to measuring the distance between the Earth and the moon, studying the returned laser signal can also provide information about the composition and topography of the moon's surface. It can also be used to study the Earth's rotation and other scientific phenomena.