1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Abstract-Homomorphism&quotient

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The last parts of the problems were:
    1. prove that for each natural n, the additive quotient group Q/Z contains a one and only subgroup of order n and that sub-group is cyclic.
    2. let G,H be two finite sub-groups of Q/Z. prove that G is contained in H if and only if
    o(G)|o(H).
    3. find all homomorphisms from Z/nZ to Q/Z.
    but I've no clue how to start with the 4th part:
    4. find all homomorphisms from Q/Z to Z...

TNX for all the helpers...

2. Relevant equations
    none.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    none...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For number 4, consider a nonzero element of Q/Z. You can represent it by a rational n/m with n and m integers. If you add n/m to itself m times, you get 0 in Q/Z. What does that tell you about the image of n/m under the homomorphism?

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    For the first one, try finding a more familiar group that's isomorphic to Q/Z (hint: think complex)

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4
    Let n/m+Z be a nonzero element of the quo. group. the order of this element if m (if we assume that gcd (n,m)=1) . the image of n/m under the homo. has to be an element in Z of order m. But in Z, which element has order m?? how come this is the only homo. possible?

Help is needed :(

TNX !

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If phi is your homomorphism, it doesn't really say phi(n/m) has order m. It says phi(n/m)*m=0. The only integer satisfying that is 0. So phi(n/m)=0, for all elements of Q/Z. That's why it's the only homomorphism possible.

7. Dec 8, 2009 #6
    so the homo is:
    each and every element in Q/Z goes to 0?

TNX

8. Dec 8, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What else could it be?

9. Dec 8, 2009 #8
    right...Tnx a lot!! Hope you'll be able to help me in my next thread too...

10. Dec 8, 2009 #9
    Can you please give me directions about the 3rd one?I
    I'm pretty lame in all the Homomorphism theorems...

TNX again

11. Dec 8, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just start thinking about it. If you know what the image of the element '1' in Z/nZ is, then you know the rest of the homomorphism. What are the possibilities?

12. Dec 8, 2009 #11
    The image of "1" in Z/nZ (which is of course "n" or "0" ) can be each and every one of the generators of the sub-groups from order n...I've proved that there's only one sub-group of order n in Q/Z and it's cyclic....Each one of it's generators are from the form i/n... Am I on the right track?

TNX a lot!

13. Dec 8, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z/nZ={0,1,2,...n-1}. '1' doesn't mean 0 or n. It means 1. But yes, every element of Z/nZ has order n, so the image of an element i under the homomorphism has to satisfy phi(i)*n=0 in Q/Z. That makes it one of the i/n, sure.

14. Dec 8, 2009 #13
    TNX a lot man...You were very helpful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook