What are the criteria for proving equivalence of Cauchy sequences?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalence of Cauchy sequences and the criteria for determining equivalence. The properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity are mentioned as necessary for equivalence, but it is unclear how to show equivalence for Cauchy sequences. The suggestion is made to use x_1, x_2,... as the first sequence and x_1, x_2,... as the modified sequence, and to consider the convergence of the sequence of their differences. It is noted that this may be related to constructing the reals from the rationals.
*melinda*
Question:

Prove that if a Cauchy sequence [itex]x_1, x_2,...[/itex] of rationals is modified by changing a finite number of terms, the result is an equivalent Cauchy sequence.

All the math classes I have taken previously were computational, and my textbook contains almost no definitions.

So, I know that the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity must be present to have an equivalence. However, I don't know how to show that Cauchy sequences are equivalent. I'm guessing that if they converge to the same limit, then they are equivalent, but that's just my guess. The book remains mute on this and many points.

Once I know the criteria for equivalence (whatever that may be), my next problem is that I don't have a clue how to start this or any proof. I think I need to have a way to represent the sequences.
Lets call them: A, B (modified A), and C (modified B). I think I need three objects to show transitivity.
Now here's the sticky part; I don't know how to represent A,B, or C. My brain has not yet made the jump into abstraction. :blushing:

Any suggestions on a way to write A,B, and C would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do it without knowing what "equivalence" means in this particular case!

I suspect that two sequences are equivalent if they converge to the same limit, but you really should check your definitions.

Notation suggestion- use [tex]x_1,x_2,\ldots[/tex] as your first sequence, [tex]x_1,x_2,\ldots[/tex] as your modified sequence.

Two Cauchy sequences are equivalent if the sequence of their differences, [tex]x_1-y_1,x_2-y_2,\ldots[/tex] converges to zero. They are eventually getting "close" to one another. This isn't quite the same as asking the two sequences to have the same limit point, but they are trying to converge to the same thing (the rationals are not complete, so they may not converge at all within the rationals).

This should be in your book though, and I'm making an assumption on the context (it looks like you're heading towards constructing the reals from the rationals via Cauchy sequences.

shmoe said:
Two Cauchy sequences are equivalent if the sequence of their differences, [tex]x_1-y_1,x_2-y_2,\ldots[/tex] converges to zero.

Just a note to *melinda*: That would also address https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88525 .

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Cauchy equivalence?

Cauchy equivalence is a mathematical concept that refers to the relationship between two mathematical expressions or functions that are equivalent in terms of convergence and continuity. In other words, two functions are Cauchy equivalent if they have the same limit at every point they converge to.

What is the purpose of studying More Cauchy equivalence?

More Cauchy equivalence is a more general and flexible version of Cauchy equivalence that allows for a wider range of functions and expressions to be compared. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical structures and properties of these functions, and can be applied to a variety of fields such as analysis, topology, and differential equations.

How is More Cauchy equivalence different from Cauchy equivalence?

More Cauchy equivalence takes into account a wider range of functions and expressions, including non-linear and discontinuous functions, while Cauchy equivalence is limited to only linear and continuous functions. More Cauchy equivalence also considers the behavior of the functions at infinity, while Cauchy equivalence only considers the behavior at finite points.

What are some applications of More Cauchy equivalence?

More Cauchy equivalence has numerous applications in various fields of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and differential equations. It can be used to prove the convergence and continuity of functions, as well as to study the behavior of functions at infinity. It also has applications in the study of fractals and chaos theory.

Are there any drawbacks to using More Cauchy equivalence?

One potential drawback of More Cauchy equivalence is that it can be more complex and difficult to apply compared to Cauchy equivalence. It also requires a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, the results obtained from More Cauchy equivalence may not always be applicable to all types of functions and expressions.