Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More derivative fun

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    This is a bit weird, both are functions of theta (and time) ... so I assume the operator is on both ... is it a case of applying the product rule?

\frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}(\dot{\theta} cos\theta)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

I would say product rule looks good.
  4. May 27, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the input, will give it a go
  5. May 27, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you assuming here that [itex]\delta()/\delta[/itex] is a derivative? I would be more inclined to think it means "total variation".
  6. May 27, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ultimâ! :smile:

If this is calculus of variations, doesn't [tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}[/tex] mean that you assume that [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] is independent of [tex]\theta[/tex], so that:

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}(\dot{\theta} cos\theta)\,=\,-\dot{\theta} sin\theta[/tex] ? :confused:
  7. Jun 24, 2008 #6
    It would be nice to think it was that simple tiny-tim, but I fear [tex] \dot{\theta}[/tex] is related to changes in [tex] \theta[/tex] even for small variations. HallsofIvy, I'm not familiar with using the total variation approach, but it is part of a Jacobian so I would assume it was a derivative.

I've just posted the full problem here:

(I know cross posting is frowned upon, but I was trying split the problem down into simpler components)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?