Morin's Rocket Example: Chapter 12, Page 606

In summary, the problem is that in the first equation, the sign of dm changes, and in the second equation, the sign of v changes.
almarpa
Hello all.

In Morin's classical mechanics book, chapter 12 (relativistic dynamics), in the axample about the relativistic rocket, we have a rocket that propels itself converting mass into photons and firing them back. Here Morin takes dm as a negative quantity, so the instantaneous mass of the rocket goes from m to m+dm.

I have tried to solve the same example taking dm as a positive quantity, and assuming that the instantaneous mass goes from m to m-dm, but I do not get the same answer. The correct rocket motion equation should be:

(dm/m)+(dv/(1-v2))=0

, but instead I get:

(dm/m)-(dv/(1-v2))=0

As you see, the solution is the same, except for one minus sign.
What could be the problem? Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If dm is a positive quantity in one equation and a negative quantity in the other then it is the same equation.

Yes, that is what I thought.

Nevertheless, in Morin example he integrates this equiation from M to m and from 0 to v to get:

m=M[(1-v)/(1+v)]1/2

But if I integrate my equation in the same terms (from M to m and from 0 to v ), what I get is:

m=M[(1+v)/(1-v)]1/2

As you see, the signs are exchanged in the quotient, so the result is nor the same.

What is the problem?

This sounds like it might be a confusion between
the use and/or interpretation of an "infinitesimal change in mass" [whose sign depends on whether one adds or subtracts]
and as an "increment of the mass variable m" (used in doing an integral) [which is always positive].

I think it might analogous to this [my reply in an old thread]
Dot product in the Gravitational Potential Energy formula

Ah, then per robphy's point if the OP reverses the limits of integration, they will get the same answer as the other method.

Or is that, when ##dm## changes sign (in the attempted change of variables)
then ##v## (or ##dv##) changes sign?

Confusing, isn't it?

almarpa said:
Confusing, isn't it?
It could be, if one isn't careful.

I took a closer look.
Let's clarify variable names.
m is the instantaneous rocket-mass function (which varies with time).
dm is the incremental change in that rocket-mass function (following what Morin is doing)
so that m+dm represents the new mass (which is smaller than the old mass since the increment is a negative amount).
M is the original mass.

Now if you wish change variables
so that you can (better?) display the fact that the rocket-mass decreases,
let ##(d\mu)=-dm##;
this ##d\mu## is positive (which could be interpreted as the positive photon-energy ejected in the rocket-frame).

Following Morin,
the spatial-momentum of the rocket in the ground frame is
##(m\gamma v)_{new}=(m\gamma v)_{old}-\gamma(1-v)dm##
Using ##(d\mu)##,
##(m\gamma v)_{new}=(m\gamma v)_{old}-\gamma(1-v)(-d\mu)##,
which could be written as
##d(m\gamma v)= -\gamma(1-v)(-d\mu)##.
When expanding out the left-hand side, you have ##dm##, but you have ##d\mu## on the right-hand-side.
If you expand then try to combine terms (in favor of ##d\mu##) to get the diff eq, you get
##\frac{-d\mu}{m}+\frac{dv}{1-v^2}=0##.
However, you can't continue to solve for m unless you use ##d\mu=-dm##.

So, you are forced to same differential equation for ##m##.

Likes jim mcnamara
All right, I see.

I will take a deeper look to it, to check if I really get it.

Thank you so much, I spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Related to Morin's Rocket Example: Chapter 12, Page 606

1. What is Morin's Rocket Example?

Morin's Rocket Example is a hypothetical scenario presented in Chapter 12, Page 606 of a scientific textbook. It is used to explain the concept of rocket propulsion and the principles of Newton's Third Law of Motion.

2. What is the purpose of Morin's Rocket Example?

The purpose of Morin's Rocket Example is to illustrate how rockets work by using Newton's Third Law of Motion. It helps readers understand how the force of the rocket's exhaust propels the rocket in the opposite direction.

3. How does Morin's Rocket Example relate to real-life rockets?

Morin's Rocket Example is a simplified version of how real-life rockets work. It demonstrates the basic principles of rocket propulsion and can be used to understand and predict the behavior of real rockets.

4. What are the key takeaways from Morin's Rocket Example?

The key takeaways from Morin's Rocket Example are the concepts of thrust, mass, acceleration, and Newton's Third Law of Motion. It also emphasizes the importance of understanding these principles in order to design and launch successful rockets.

5. Can Morin's Rocket Example be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the principles demonstrated in Morin's Rocket Example can be applied to other areas of science, such as aerodynamics and fluid mechanics. The concept of Newton's Third Law of Motion can also be applied to various fields of physics, engineering, and even biology.