Verifying Time Effect of Gravity: Accurate to a Few Thousands of a Percent

In summary, the accidental placement of two satellites into elliptical orbits provided the most accurate verification of the time effect of gravity to date. With a difference in altitude of 8,500 kilometers, their atomic clocks ran slower near Earth and faster at higher altitudes, in agreement with Einstein's theory of General Relativity. This was due to the combined effects of altitude and speed, with the overall effect being more elapsed time per orbit.
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2023 Award
To date, the most accurate verification of the time effect of gravity is where two satellites were accidentally put into elliptical orbits where the altitude varied by 8,500 kilometers ( 5,282 mi). Their atomic clocks ran slower near Earth and faster at higher altitude. The agreement with GR was within a few thousands of a percent. (see https://www.sciencenews.org/article/satellite-oops-reaffirms-einstein-theory-gravity )

Likes Dale and Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
FactChecker said:
two satellites were accidentally put into elliptical orbits
Oh, that sounds like a horrendously expensive woopsie

Likes russ_watters and FactChecker
Just curious; what does GR predict about the effects of this elliptical orbit on the clocks? I mean the overall effect when averaged over time. When the satellite is at apogee, it is farther out of the gravity well, and when at perigee, it is deeper inside the gravity well. It sounds like these two effects should cancel out, leaving the overall progress of the clock to be the same as if the satellite were in a circular orbit (or equal area), with the highs and lows having opposite it equal effect. However, for some reason I find myself doubting my own conclusion, there. Would the inverse square law mean that the two extremes of altitude would have opposite but unequal effect (see, that doesn’t sound right either)?

Also, thanks for the link; really interesting stuff. Glad that something useful game of it.

LURCH said:
When the satellite is at apogee, it is farther out of the gravity well, and when at perigee, it is deeper inside the gravity well.

Remember that there are two effects here: altitude (lower -> clocks run slower) and speed (faster -> clocks run slower). (I am glossing over a number of technical points that are beyond the scope of a B level thread.) A satellite in an elliptical orbit spends more time at higher altitude and lower speed, and less time at lower altitude and higher speed. So off the top of my head, I would expect the overall effect to be more elapsed time per orbit (i.e., clocks running faster) as compared to an "equivalent" circular orbit. But I have not tried to do the math in detail.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is the purpose of verifying the time effect of gravity?

The purpose of verifying the time effect of gravity is to understand and accurately measure the impact of gravity on time. This helps to further our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and can also have practical applications, such as in the development of precise timekeeping devices.

2. How is the accuracy of a few thousandths of a percent achieved?

The accuracy of a few thousandths of a percent is achieved through precise and meticulous measurements using advanced equipment and techniques. This includes using highly sensitive clocks, carefully controlled experiments, and data analysis methods that account for potential sources of error.

3. What are some potential challenges in verifying the time effect of gravity?

Some potential challenges in verifying the time effect of gravity include external factors that can influence the measurements, such as vibrations or changes in temperature. Another challenge is the extremely small scale of the effect, which requires highly sensitive equipment and precise measurements.

4. What are the implications of accurately verifying the time effect of gravity?

Accurately verifying the time effect of gravity can have significant implications in the fields of physics, astronomy, and technology. It can help us better understand the concept of time and its relationship to gravity, and may also lead to advancements in areas such as space travel and global navigation systems.

5. How does verifying the time effect of gravity contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Verifying the time effect of gravity contributes to our understanding of the universe by providing evidence to support the theory of relativity and the concept of spacetime. It also helps us to better understand the role of gravity in the formation and evolution of celestial bodies, and the overall structure of the universe.