Most Likes Page: @mfb Approaching 5000 Likes on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the "likes" page on the Physics Forums and specifically mentioned @mfb's approaching milestone of 5000 "likes". Some users expressed interest in watching the top 20 members on the page who have put in a lot of time and effort on the site. Others joked about the unfair advantage of being a cute puppy dog and how it may affect the number of "likes" received. The conversation also touched on the importance of the "likes" statistic and how it can be an indicator of the effort put into solving complex questions. Some users also shared their thoughts on a song referenced in the conversation. In summary, the conversation was a mix of congratulations, humor, and appreciation for the "likes" page
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The section info/members/"most likes" is quite interesting. In addition, @mfb is quickly approaching a milestone of 5000 "likes". Congratulations to him! I also find it quite interesting watching the top 20 on this page, all of whom have put in much time and effort on the Physics Forums. Keep up the good work ! :) :)

Likes 1oldman2, Comeback City, berkeman and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like I should be jealous that @phinds has more "likes" than I do. But then I realized that everyone likes a puppy dog.

Likes Evo, ISamson, shihab-kol and 4 others
Drakkith said:
I feel like I should be jealous that @phinds has more "likes" than I do. But then I realized that everyone likes a puppy dog.
Damn right they do ! I'm CUTE.

Likes hutchphd, shihab-kol, jedishrfu and 2 others
phinds said:
Damn right they do ! I'm CUTE.

It's really just an unfair advantage. I can't even compete. I mean, have you seen my face?!

Likes shihab-kol and jedishrfu
Drakkith said:
It's really just an unfair advantage. I can't even compete. I mean, have you seen my face?!
Always reminds me of the ninja turtles. Which one are you? What is it meant to be?

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
You could try barking and slobbering all over the mentor forums?

Ibix said:
You could try barking and slobbering all over the mentor forums?
No! We just only recently trained him against that! It was a horrible few years! Poor Evo, mopping up all of Draks slobber.

Likes Imager, Evo and fresh_42
Drakkith said:
God, no. What a horrible thought.

Greg Bernhardt said:
No! We just only recently trained him against that! It was a horrible few years! Poor Evo, mopping up all of Draks slobber.

I blame everyone but myself!

phinds said:
God, no. What a horrible thought.

Indeed. Let's just say that there's a very good reason I wear a helmet.

Likes baldbrain, shihab-kol, jedishrfu and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
@Drakkith says he can't compete, but with the couple of "likes" he just picked up, he has now moved into a tie for 10th place with @Orodruin at 2384 "likes". :) :)

Charles Link said:
@Drakkith says he can't compete, but with the couple of "likes" he just picked up, he has now moved into a tie for 10th place with @Orodruin at 2384 "likes". :) :)

Excellent... all my plans are going according to... plan.

Likes shihab-kol, CalcNerd, berkeman and 2 others
A look at the "Trophy" points shows there is a 60 trophy points and "Hello Mr. President" at 3000 "likes", but 5000 is apparently off the charts.

Most Likes Page... at physicsforums.com.
Bahhh! ... don't need no stinkin' likes... couldn't care less about 'em! [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol

Likes 1oldman2
OCR said:
Bahhh! ... don't need no stinkin' likes... couldn't care less about 'em! [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol
@OCR Perhaps a more positive song by John Prine (in reference to the "link" you provided) is "Hello in There" or "In Spite of Ourselves". His guitar playing is good in the song, but his songs "Sam Stone", "Angel from Montgomery", and "Dear Abby" are much more inspiring than the song in the "link". Anyway, I enjoy the "likes" page and I am glad the Physics Forums keeps this statistic.

Likes 1oldman2
Charles Link said:
@OCR Perhaps a more positive song by John Prine (in reference to the "link" you provided) is "Hello in There" or "In Spite of Ourselves". His guitar playing is good in the song, but his songs "Sam Stone", "Angel from Montgomery", and "Dear Abby" are much more inspiring than the song in the "link". Anyway, I enjoy the "likes" page and I am glad the Physics Forums keeps this statistic.
And one of the reasons the "likes" statistic is important is that although some of the "likes" come easy=that is a given...Some of the "likes" follow after an hour of effort or more in solving a question that is posted. In many cases, the questions that are posted are somewhat unique, and are something that isn't found by a simple google or even looking in the proper textbook. Again I am glad for the statistic=it isn't necessarily a perfect indicator, but it is an indicator of the effort the member has put forth in responding to the various posts.

Likes Comeback City and cnh1995
Please accept my apology, Charles... my post was only meant as a joke.

I always took Prine's song as being a bit of self-deprecating humor...
Pretending that one doesn't want something, because one does not or cannot have it, also known as being a "Sour Grapes Mary".
From the old Aesop's fable... The Fox and the Grapes.

That's all I was doing... trying to make a joke, at my expense.

However, as Aufbauwerk 2045 once pointed out...
Usually, if a joke needs an explanation... it didn't work very well, I guess.

I really do need to follow my own advice...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :redface:

Likes Comeback City, Charles Link and PeroK
@mfb is now just 2 "likes" away from 5000. I don't know if there are any trophy points for the achievement, but I think it should be recognized. ## \\## My hat goes off to @mfb . Congratulations ! :) :) :)

Likes cnh1995, dlgoff, QuantumQuest and 4 others
Thank you :).

Likes shihab-kol, Comeback City, cnh1995 and 2 others
Charles Link said:
... it is an indicator of the effort the member has put forth in responding to the various posts.
Just thought I'd mention: Seeing a like on a reply from the member whom I'm replying to is the indicator it has been seen by that member; especially when no further comment is expected or needed.

Likes shihab-kol, jedishrfu, cnh1995 and 1 other person
Just for the record, I hate mfb.
He appears to have hogged a disproportionate amount of the Earth's limited supply of operational brain cells.
Just my humble opinion.

Likes baldbrain and Charles Link
OmCheeto said:
Just for the record, I hate mfb.
He appears to have hogged a disproportionate amount of the Earth's limited supply of operational brain cells.
Just my humble opinion.

@mfb You can decrease the current 1,627 @OmCheeto "likes" can't you?

dlgoff said:
@mfb You can decrease the current 1,627 @OmCheeto "likes" can't you?
Why would I decrease the current 1450 @OmCheeto "likes"?

Likes 1oldman2, CalcNerd, OmCheeto and 1 other person
mfb said:
Why would I decrease the current 1450 @OmCheeto "likes"?
Because he hates you? :oldeyes:

btw, this is all in jest.

I think there is no reason to reduce his 1300 likes.

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, CalcNerd, Drakkith and 2 others
mfb said:
I think there is no reason to reduce his 1300 likes.
:oldsurprised:

Likes dlgoff, Drakkith and mfb
In the "most likes", there presently is a very close grouping of about 6 people from 8th place to 13th, and @Drakkith is now just one "like" behind @phinds . @Drakkith has moved up from about a week or two ago... :) :)

Now both have 2,462.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
In the "most likes", there presently is a very close grouping of about 6 people from 8th place to 13th, and @Drakkith is now just one "like" behind @phinds . @Drakkith has moved up from about a week or two ago... :) :)

It's only because of my boyish good looks.

Likes shihab-kol and Charles Link
Drakkith said:
It's only because of my boyish good looks.
GGRRRRRRRR

Likes shihab-kol, jedishrfu and Charles Link
phinds said:
GGRRRRRRRR

We all know you're all bark and no bite, phinds. :-p

Likes shihab-kol, Comeback City and jedishrfu
Drakkith said:
We all know you're all bark and no bite, phinds. :-p
Good thing for you I"ve had my rabies shot.

Likes shihab-kol, Comeback City and jedishrfu
phinds said:
Good thing for you I"ve had my rabies shot.

Goodness! Where you bitten?? Are you alright?! Do you need a band-aid and a lolly?

I could use a lolly...mmmm...

Somehow @Drakkith just picked up 3 "likes" that I don't see recorded.(It usually says if someone else "liked" his comment.) I gave him one, and I gave @phinds one. He seems to be gathering momentum...

Likes Drakkith
So @Drakkith is ahead...

but wait @phinds is catching up...

Its a race to the finish... a race of EPIC proportions...

It was a tie race! or is that a race of ties!

Likes Drakkith and Charles Link
@Chestermiller needs to get into the picture. It looks like a 3 way race. Could we put the finish line at 2475? Or 2480?... Or perhaps we could give a prize to the next one who makes 2500...This is almost as exciting as the Kentucky Derby... :) :)

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu