Calculating Time Taken for Particle to Travel from x=1 to x=8

In summary, the problem is to express the time taken for a particle to travel from x=1 to x=8 as a definite integral with respect to x. The force acting on the particle is given by F(x) = (16/x^2) - 2, and the particle is released from rest at x=1. The potential function is V(x) = 2x + 16/x - 18, and the particle is bounded by x=1 and x=8. The question is how to express the time as an integral in terms of x, and it may involve expressing the velocity as an integral and then integrating again to obtain a formula for t.
madglover

Homework Statement

Express the time taken for the particle to travel from x=1 to x=8 as a definate integral with respect to x.

Homework Equations

A particle P moves under the influence of a force

F(x)= (16/x^2) -2

The Attempt at a Solution

first i worked out V(x), such that V(x)=- the integral of F(x)

V(x) = 2x +16/x + a constant

we are then told P is released from rest at x=1

so we can obtain V(1)=0=2+16-C
C=-18

so V(x)=2x +16/x -18

V(x) is the potential function btw

so we can work out the particle is bounded by x=1 and x=8

I'm just not sure how to express the time as an integral in terms of x. we haven't done much like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
i thought it would involve expressing the velocity as an integral and then integrating again to obtain a formula for t, but i was not sure how to do this. any help would be great!

FAQ: Calculating Time Taken for Particle to Travel from x=1 to x=8

What is the formula for calculating time taken for a particle to travel from x=1 to x=8?

The formula for calculating time taken for a particle to travel from x=1 to x=8 is t = (x2 - x1) / v, where t is the time, x2 is the final position, x1 is the initial position, and v is the velocity of the particle.

How do you determine the velocity of the particle?

The velocity of the particle can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. It can also be calculated by finding the slope of the position-time graph for the particle.

Can the time taken for the particle to travel from x=1 to x=8 be negative?

No, the time taken for the particle to travel cannot be negative as it represents the duration of the journey and cannot be in reverse.

What units should be used for time, position, and velocity in the calculation?

Time should be measured in seconds (s), position in meters (m), and velocity in meters per second (m/s).

Is there a specific direction for the particle to travel from x=1 to x=8?

No, the direction of the particle's travel is not specified in the calculation of time taken. It is only concerned with the distance between the starting and ending points.

Back