How Is Average Velocity Calculated in a Car Race with TV Interruptions?

In summary, Vic was watching a car race on TV when the power surged, causing the picture to go out. When it came back on, the timer on the score board read 75 seconds and the leading car was on the opposite side of the oval-shaped, 6 km long racing track. To determine the car's average velocity during this time, the equation v = d/t was used, with the resulting speed being 0.04 m/s. The question then asks for two possible distances the car could have traveled during the power outage, with the answer being dependent on how many circuits of the track the car completed while the TV was off. The smallest two possibilities for distance are the answer to this question. Given that the record for
strawberry7

Homework Statement

Vic was watching a car race on TV. At the instant the flag was lowered to start the race, the picture on TV screen goes out due to surge in the power. When the picture come back on TV, the timer on score board reads 75 s. At this point Vic observes that leading car was on opposite side of the racing track (opposite side to that where racing was started). The racing track is oval in shape and 6 Km in length.
a) Determine leading cars average velocity during the time when TV was without picture?
b) What are two possible distances leading car traveled when TV was without picture?
c) Given the record for fastest racing car is 450 Km/hr, which is most likely distance-leading car has traveled when TV was without picture? ☺☺
d) Based on your calculation in (c), calculate leading car average speed when TV was without picture?

Homework Equations

v = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe that half way around the track would be 3 km, but then i need the displacemet? so would that be zero?

o/75= 0 so that doesn't make sence

3/75= 0.04 m/s

004 m/s was the speed of the leading car
But now i don't know ANYTHING
I need some guidance, once i get on the right track i'll probably be able to finish the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) you can't actually calculate the displacement since you don't know the width of the track (unless it's supposed be 0 - figure 8 track?). Anyway, I would just continue on with the rest of the questions. You are doing ok computing average speed except that the track is 6 km long, not 6 m.

Thankyou, but what i am really confused about is b c and d, how am i sopposed to find two difernt distances?

How many circuits of the track did the car do while the TV was off? Can you be sure it was on the first one?

I never thought of that, is there any way of knowing?

Uh, that's what the question is all about. You'll find out. What are the smallest two possibilities for distance? That's the answer to b). Now continue.

Oh, so c is asking if it was going 450 km/h which distance from B would it be?

So you have to use

distance = (veloctiy) (time)
(450) ( 75 s )
= 33750

Wait, should i be conveerting something? because i am using a mix of seconds and minutes?

Yes, you should be converting. Your answer would be correct if the speed were 450 km/s. How many seconds in an hour? Please put units on things.

3600 seconds in 1 hour

75s/3600= 0.021 hours

distance = (veloctiy) (time)
(450km/h) ( 0.021h )
= 9.4km/h

Better. But (450km/h)(0.021 h)=9.4 km. Not km/h. Keep the units straight. They are your friend.

Okay thanks!

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities, depending on its direction of travel.

2. How are force and motion related?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or change its motion. In other words, force is what causes an object to move or stop moving. The relationship between force and motion is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to know the individual forces acting on the object and their directions. The net force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object, taking into account their directions. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant and does not change, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity at different locations. The relationship between mass and weight is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the weight of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.