Motion Capture Tips for Beginners

• Thread starter jimmie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: Sounds like a lot of work, but it could payoff in the quality of the animation. Definitely sounds like MotionBuilder would be a good choice for this kind of project.
jimmie
motion capture--tips?

Going to be doing some mocap in about a month, for the first time.

Will be using the full bodysuit along with optical sensors.

Have you done it before? Do you have advice to offer? Do you know about 'rigging'?

Thanks for any input

o:)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds interesting.
I am curious: what kind of work will you be doing?

I am producing many simple animations, and need to animate my 3D models, for a website I am creating.

I believe mocap is the way to go for me, because of its quality and speed of development.

For me to rotoscope or keyframe what I need done would require more effort than I am willing to give.

Do you know about rigging, or the process of motion capture?

I have some experience with active-optical motion capture equipment; however, I have not heard the term "rigging" used when doing a capture session. Perhaps it relates to passive-optical equipment (are you using a passive-optical system? VICON? Motion Analysis?)
Are you affiliated with a university? Usually, the university puts a post-graduate student in charge of equipment like that, freeing up professors to focus on the actual research. Is there not somebody like that available? Or are you just starting up your own facilities?
What animation software will you be using? MotionBuilder would probably set you back about $14000 (made by Kaydara, taken over by Alias, which was recently taken over by Autodesk). Ouch!

sounds very interesting, but it seems a lot of expense for web site(depending on who the customer is). how would you be displaying it.

Last edited:
I have not heard the term "rigging" used when doing a capture session

Actually, after I do the mocap, personally 'act-out' the actions needed, for free :biggrin:, at the university, which will in-fact be supervised by the professor and at least 1 of his students, and the data is cleaned and edited with Maya (Motionbuilder might be utilized, not sure), I will use that data and assign it to a 'rig'; a 'model' designed to feature all of the regular moving parts of the human body.

After the data is assigned to the rig, the rig is assigned to the 3D models I have made. That is how I understand the process to be.

The results of the mocap would be displayed only on my website via Flash Video.

1. What is motion capture?

Motion capture is a technique used to record and track the movements of objects or people. It involves using cameras or sensors to capture the motion and then transferring it onto a digital model.

2. What equipment is needed for motion capture?

The basic equipment for motion capture includes cameras or sensors, a computer, and software for recording and processing the motion data. Additionally, specialized suits or markers may be required for capturing the motion of actors or objects.

3. How do I prepare for a motion capture session?

Before starting a motion capture session, it is important to set up the equipment and ensure that it is in proper working condition. It is also important to calibrate the cameras or sensors and make sure that the recording space is clear of any obstructions that may interfere with the motion capture process.

4. What are some tips for performing motion capture?

Some tips for performing motion capture include wearing appropriate clothing that won't interfere with the markers or sensors, maintaining a consistent speed and rhythm, and exaggerating movements to ensure they are captured accurately. It is also important to communicate clearly with the technicians and follow any specific instructions given.

5. How is motion capture used in different industries?

Motion capture is widely used in the film and video game industries to create realistic and lifelike animations. It is also used in sports training and analysis, biomechanical research, and medical applications. Additionally, it has applications in virtual reality, robotics, and other fields.