Motion Sensor through the internet

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of connecting a motion-sensor to a set of tubelights over a large distance using the internet. The speaker suggests using a motion-sensor with a USB connection connected to a computer, which can then send the motion signal to another computer over the internet to turn the lights on or off. They mention difficulties in finding software and a connection between the second computer and the lights. The speaker also mentions Little Bits as a commercial solution and suggests Googling "IO control over the internet raspberry pi" for a similar solution.
LuukS
Hello,

I would like to make a connection between a motion-sensor and a set of tubelights. This is not that hard, but I would like to do this over a large distance... It seems a good idea to use the internet for this. I can get or make a motion-sensor with a USB connection and connect it to a computer (I've found a tutorial for this). Then I can send the motion signal to another computer over the internet and this second computer turns the lights on or off. Unfortunately I don't really know how to start with this; especially with finding software that interprets the USB input and a connection between the second computer and the lights.

To illustrate what I want I've added an image; the point is to have a lights in a hangar going on and off depending on a person standing in front of a screen. (I've already solved the video; Skype)

Thank you for the help!

Loods proposal English.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's a commercial set of components that can do this called Little Bits where you can cobble together a circuit and interact with it over the internet through a site they manage.

Www.littlebits.cc

Try googling "IO control over the internet raspberry pi"

Thank you! I think that should do the trick!
meBigGuy said:
Try googling "IO control over the internet raspberry pi"

Thank you, that seems to work similar to something like Arduino right?

Similar but focused differently.

Arduino is a small uP chip based system optimized for IO control. Use to control peripheral devices.

Raspberry Pi is a small linux based system that can serve web pages, interface to USb, etc. Better for communication.

1. How does a motion sensor work through the internet?

A motion sensor works through the internet by using a combination of hardware and software. The sensor detects movement and sends a signal to a central hub connected to the internet. The hub then sends this information to a server, which can be accessed through a web or mobile application.

2. Can I control the motion sensor remotely through the internet?

Yes, you can control the motion sensor remotely through the internet as long as it is connected to a central hub that is connected to the internet. You can adjust settings, receive notifications, and view real-time data from the sensor through a web or mobile application.

3. Is it safe to have a motion sensor connected to the internet?

As with any internet-connected device, there are potential security risks. However, many motion sensors have built-in security features such as encryption and password protection to ensure the safety of your data. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for setting up and securing your sensor.

4. Can a motion sensor through the internet be used for home automation?

Yes, a motion sensor connected to the internet can be used for home automation. For example, you can set up the sensor to turn on lights when it detects movement, or to adjust the temperature when you enter a room. This can help save energy and make your home more convenient.

5. What is the range of a motion sensor through the internet?

The range of a motion sensor through the internet depends on the strength of your Wi-Fi signal and the distance between the sensor and the central hub. In general, most sensors have a range of up to 100 feet. However, this can vary depending on the specific product and environment.