Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Sensor through the internet

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I would like to make a connection between a motion-sensor and a set of tubelights. This is not that hard, but I would like to do this over a large distance... It seems a good idea to use the internet for this. I can get or make a motion-sensor with a USB connection and connect it to a computer (I've found a tutorial for this). Then I can send the motion signal to another computer over the internet and this second computer turns the lights on or off. Unfortunately I don't really know how to start with this; especially with finding software that interprets the USB input and a connection between the second computer and the lights.

To illustrate what I want I've added an image; the point is to have a lights in a hangar going on and off depending on a person standing in front of a screen. (I've already solved the video; Skype)

Thank you for the help!

Loods proposal English.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There's a commercial set of components that can do this called Little Bits where you can cobble together a circuit and interact with it over the internet through a site they manage.

Www.littlebits.cc

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Try googling "IO control over the internet raspberry pi"

5. Nov 27, 2014 #4
    Thank you! I think that should do the trick!
    Thank you, that seems to work similar to something like Arduino right?

6. Nov 27, 2014 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Similar but focused differently.

Arduino is a small uP chip based system optimized for IO control. Use to control peripheral devices.

Raspberry Pi is a small linux based system that can serve web pages, interface to USb, etc. Better for communication.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook