How Does Projectile Motion Calculate Distance and Height?

In summary, a ball is thrown from a building with an initial velocity of 8m/s at an angle of 20 below the horizontal. After striking the ground 3.00s later, the horizontal distance at which the ball strikes the ground is 22.5m and the height from which it was thrown is 52.30m. There were two mistakes in the bolded lines that have been corrected.
tdusffx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A ball is tossed from an upper-story window of a building. The ball is given an initial velocity of 8m/s at an angle of 20 below the horizontal. It strikes the ground 3.00s later. The horizontal distance at which the balls strike the ground from teh base of teh building and the height from which the ball was thrown are respectively given by:

Xf = Xi + Vxi*t

Change of X = Vxi*T

Xf = 8cos(20)(3)

Xf = 22.5 m

and Yi

Y = Vyi - 1/2g*t^2

0 = Yi + 8sin(20) - 1/2(9.81)(3)^2

Yi= 36m

are my answers right?

Physics news on Phys.org
tdusffx said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A ball is tossed from an upper-story window of a building. The ball is given an initial velocity of 8m/s at an angle of 20 below the horizontal. It strikes the ground 3.00s later. The horizontal distance at which the balls strike the ground from teh base of teh building and the height from which the ball was thrown are respectively given by:

Xf = Xi + Vxi*t

Change of X = Vxi*T

Xf = 8cos(20)(3)

Xf = 22.5 m
This is correct.

and Yi

Y = Vyi - 1/2g*t^2

Yi= 36m

are my answers right?
There are 2 errors in the bolded lines:
1. Check the equation - something's missing;
2. Check the signs of all terms - which way is the positive y-axis pointing?

hmmm...

Yf = Yi + Vyi - 1/2gt^2

-Yi = -36

yi = 36...I can't think of anything mistake here but my book is saying t hat I got the wrong answer...

tdusffx said:
hmmm...

Yf = Yi + Vyi - 1/2gt^2

-Yi = -36

yi = 36...I can't think of anything mistake here but my book is saying t hat I got the wrong answer...

As Gokul mentioned there are 2 things wrong with your formula... first off, basically you've got the formula wrong... check what the formula is... second a sign is wrong...

Yf = Yi + Vyi - 1/2gt^2

0 = Yi + -8sin(20)(3) - 1/2(9.81)(3)^2

-Yi = -52.30

yi = 52.30 m?

now?

tdusffx said:
Yf = Yi + Vyi - 1/2gt^2

-Yi = -52.30

yi = 52.30 m?

now?

Yes. Looks right.

tdusffx said:
Yf = Yi + Vyi - 1/2gt^2

-Yi = -52.30

yi = 52.30 m?

now?
Although you've plugged in correctly, the first line should read: Yf = Yi + Vyit - 1/2gt^2

FAQ: How Does Projectile Motion Calculate Distance and Height?

1. What is motion in 2 dimensions?

Motion in 2 dimensions refers to an object's movement in two different directions simultaneously, typically represented on a graph with x and y coordinates.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in an object's position from its starting point to its ending point, while distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by the object.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How are acceleration and deceleration related?

Acceleration and deceleration are both changes in an object's velocity, with acceleration representing an increase in velocity and deceleration representing a decrease in velocity.

5. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity, such as a ball thrown in the air or a rocket launched into space.