Forces Acting on a Car or Roller Coaster in a Loop

In summary, when a car or roller coaster travels in a loop, the forces acting on it at the top are all downwards, including the weight and normal force. The normal force diminishes at the top of the loop, but the counter-force for it is the horizontal velocity of the car, which keeps it from falling down. In circular motion, the acceleration is directed inward to maintain the object's motion on the circle.
kamranonline
I have two questions.

when a car or roller coaster travels in a loop. At the top of the loop the forces that acts on the car are all downwards i.e. W and normal , so the net force is acting downward. I can't figure our any other force acting upward, so what actually will keep the car sticked to surface of the loop?

Secondly, I am confuse as when does the normal force diminish at the top of the loop. I have seen some animations which showed that normal force becomes smaller and smaller until it reaches at the top. But don't really know what is counter-force for the normal force. Something to do with cos component of W i guess, but not clear how cos they are in the same direction.

English is not my first language so sorry for any mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, (ignoring friction) all the forces are downwards at the top of the loop. So the cart has an instantaneous acceleration which points downwards. Remember, though, that acceleration changes the velocity, not the position. Usually, when the car is at the top of the loop, it will have a large velocity horizontally. The instantaneous acceleration gives it a small component in the vertical direction, but this will only be for a very brief moment, so the direction of the velocity will stay more or less horizontal. However, if the velocity is too small (or zero) then the vertical component will be relevant and the cart will fall down (which is what you don't want in a rollercoaster ride, but you can try it if you have a toy car track at home and send it in a loop too slowly: it will fall out at the top).

In general, in a circular motion, the acceleration is directed inward. Even if the angular velocity is constant, you need an acceleration to change the direction of the motion, otherwise the object will not stay on the circle but fly off tangentially to it (like what happens when you are swinging a ball on a rope and suddenly cut the rope).

I can provide some clarification on the forces acting on a car or roller coaster in a loop. At the top of the loop, the only forces acting on the car are its weight (W) and the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by the track on the car, which is always perpendicular to the surface of the track. In order for the car to stay on the track, the normal force must be equal and opposite to the weight of the car.

The normal force is not a counter-force to the weight, but rather a reaction force that is generated by the track in response to the weight of the car. This is due to Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The normal force is not affected by the cosine component of the weight, as the weight is always acting straight down towards the center of the loop.

Now, as the car moves through the loop, the normal force will decrease as the car gains speed due to the acceleration of gravity. This decrease in normal force is what allows the car to continue moving through the loop. However, the normal force will never become zero as it is necessary to keep the car on the track. The car's speed and the radius of the loop will determine the minimum amount of normal force needed to keep the car on the track.

I hope this helps to clarify the forces acting on a car or roller coaster in a loop. It is important to remember that the normal force is not a counter-force to the weight, but rather a reaction force that is necessary for the car to stay on the track. Your English is excellent, and I hope my explanation was clear.

1. What is the force that keeps a car or roller coaster in a loop?

The force that keeps a car or roller coaster in a loop is known as centripetal force. This force acts towards the center of the loop and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

2. How does the speed of the car or roller coaster affect the forces in a loop?

The speed of the car or roller coaster affects the forces in a loop by determining the amount of centripetal force needed to keep the object in the loop. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases to keep the object moving in a circular path.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the car or roller coaster and the forces in a loop?

The relationship between the mass of the car or roller coaster and the forces in a loop is inverse. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the centripetal force needed to keep it in the loop decreases. This is why larger roller coasters or cars can complete loops at slower speeds compared to smaller ones.

4. What happens to the forces in a loop when the car or roller coaster reaches the top of the loop?

When the car or roller coaster reaches the top of the loop, the forces acting on it change. At this point, the car or roller coaster experiences a downward force due to gravity and an upward force from the track. The centripetal force is still acting towards the center of the loop to keep the object in a circular path.

5. How do the forces in a loop contribute to the overall experience of riding a roller coaster?

The forces in a loop are an essential part of the overall experience of riding a roller coaster. These forces, such as centrifugal force and G-forces, create thrilling sensations and a sense of weightlessness for riders. They also add to the excitement and intensity of the ride.