Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Model using Quaternions & Angular Velocity

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    I would be extremely grateful if somebody could help me out with the following setup.

I have a robot arm of x chains, where each chain element, i, at time t, is defined by length l_i(t) and quaternion q_i(t) (where the quaternion is a rotation to rotate from a previous chain element to current, for the first element it is in relation to a global up vector).

I want to track the motion of each chain element in the robot arm, and think that using a constant angular velocity model would be the an ideal starting assumption. What I am looking for is how to construct his i.e

how to predict q_i(t+1) from q_i(t) and w(t) (the angular velocity).
    and how to update w(t+1) from w(t)

i.e am looking for the quaternion / angular velocity (or even acceleration) equivalent of the for simple position / velocity model

x(t+1) = x(t) + v

but I am definitely looking to track the quaternions rotations not the positions of the end points of the chains if possible (due to an existing framework).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted