Motion of a Charged Particle - Jumbled Notes, Unsure of Possibility

In summary: If you are still unable to answer the question after reviewing the notes of your classmates, then you may need to seek assistance from a tutor during office hours.In summary, the problem note-taker is having difficulty understanding the concepts due to a lack of practice.
ToXic_Knight
1. Problem - Notes Jumbled, do not know if I am missing variables or not needed to answer the questions?

Disclaimer: I am good at maths, fine with algebra and derivations, I just forget the formulae and units, especially when I haven't practiced things a lot, such as this topic (other subjects getting in the way...)

Diagram:
http://imgur.com/mDBqZN5
mDBqZN5.png

The variables I am given are d = 8cm cm, and V = 200 V, m = 2.86E-16. I have access to the mass and charge of an electron/ proton.

Here are the ten questions I need to be able to answer:
  1. Gravitational force on the particle
  2. Electrical force on the particle
  3. Electric field strength between... plates?
  4. The charge of the object
  5. Number of excess proton particles
  6. Power difference - changed to 201V: The new field strength
    [*]The new electric force
    [*]The net force
    [*]The acceleration
    [*]The time it will take from...

Homework Equations

* The equations of motion.

* Electrostatic equations, such as E = V / d, E = F / q, V = w / q, Work done = Fd = qV = qED.

3. My attempt at a solution

My apolegies, I was confused about numerous things, some are solved now, but I haven't done much since I started, but I still don't understand what other proton particles are being referred to.

Edit: Okay.
1. Gravitational strength? How is Gravity taking place here?
2. F = Eq but E = V / d
F = qV / d
= 1.6E-31 * 200 / 0.08
F = 4E-28 N
But I don't get the diagram, is that halfway, so it's 0.04? I know it's my diagram, but I thought this would be a common question.
3. E = V / d [?]
E = 200 / 0.08 [or is it 400 or 0.04 or both?]
E = 2500 N.C^-1 [Is this an overly high value?]
4. What object?.. I have a feeling this is my rubbish note-taking's fault. Maybe it wasn't an electron, in fact, I just realized the mass is about 10^15 times higher than an electron... I'm lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ToXic_Knight! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

1. Gravitational strength? How is Gravity taking place here?
I think you will discover there is a detail in the question specifications that you have overlooked. If I'm correct, it will answer your puzzlement on this point.

I have the feeling that you have not put a conscientious effort into solving this yourself before posting to the forums to seek assistance. I suggest that you make a better effort, then return here and highlight just one or two points on whch you would like help. Most times you will see your way clear to then solving most of the questions after getting a little assistance at one impasse.

Also, you should post the original question verbatim so we get all pertinent information. You have omitted too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi ToXic_Knight! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I think you will discover there is a detail in the question specifications that you have overlooked. If I'm correct, it will answer your puzzlement on this point.

I have the feeling that you have not put a conscientious effort into solving this yourself before posting to the forums to seek assistance. I suggest that you make a better effort, then return here and highlight just one or two points on whch you would like help. Most times you will see your way clear to then solving most of the questions after getting a little assistance at one impasse.

Also, you should post the original question verbatim so we get all pertinent information. You have omitted too much.

Alright, sorry. I did not have the original question, and I was looking to see what that may've been. Would you know of any similar questions I could practice?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you miss something during lectures, it is imperative that you find out what you missed by asking to see the notes of a classmate. There is a good chance that there will be an exam question similar to some of the worked examples discussed in class.

As a scientist, it is important to have organized and accurate notes when approaching a problem. It seems like you may have some confusion with the variables and equations involved in this problem. Let's break down the questions and see if we can provide some clarity.

1. Gravitational force on the particle:
It is not clear from the given information how gravity is involved in this problem. If you are referring to the force of gravity between the charged particle and another object, we would need more information such as the mass and distance between the two objects.

2. Electrical force on the particle:
The electrical force on a charged particle can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where q is the charge of the particle and E is the electric field strength.

3. Electric field strength between plates:
The electric field strength between two parallel plates can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where V is the potential difference between the plates and d is the distance between them.

4. The charge of the object:
Based on the given information, we do not have enough information to determine the charge of the object. We would need to know the number of excess protons or the net charge of the object.

5. Number of excess proton particles:
This question is unclear and may be related to question 4.

6. Power difference - changed to 201V:
It is not clear what is meant by "power difference" in this context. Could you provide more information or context for this question?

7. The new field strength:
To calculate the new electric field strength, we would need to know the new potential difference between the plates and the new distance between them.

8. The new electric force:
To calculate the new electric force, we would need to know the new charge of the particle and the new electric field strength.

9. The net force:
The net force on the particle can be calculated by adding the gravitational force (if applicable) to the electrical force.

10. The acceleration:
The acceleration of the particle can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where F is the net force on the particle and m is its mass.

It is important to be clear and specific when asking questions and providing information in scientific problems. I would suggest reviewing the equations and variables involved in this problem and trying to organize your notes in a more clear and concise manner. Additionally, it may be helpful to practice similar problems to better understand the concepts and equations involved. Good luck

What is the motion of a charged particle?

The motion of a charged particle refers to the movement of an electrically charged object in an electric or magnetic field.

What factors affect the motion of a charged particle?

The motion of a charged particle can be affected by the strength of the electric or magnetic field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle.

Is it possible for a charged particle to change direction?

Yes, a charged particle can change direction when it experiences a force from an electric or magnetic field that is not parallel to its initial velocity.

Can a charged particle's velocity change while it is moving in a straight line?

No, a charged particle's velocity cannot change while it is moving in a straight line unless it experiences a force from an external source.

How does the motion of a charged particle differ in an electric field versus a magnetic field?

In an electric field, the charged particle will accelerate in the direction of the electric field. In a magnetic field, the charged particle will experience a force perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to move in a circular path.