1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a Charged Particle - Jumbled Notes, Unsure of Possibility

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    1. Problem - Notes Jumbled, do not know if I am missing variables or not needed to answer the questions?

Disclaimer: I am good at maths, fine with algebra and derivations, I just forget the formulae and units, especially when I haven't practiced things a lot, such as this topic (other subjects getting in the way...)

Diagram:
    http://imgur.com/mDBqZN5
    mDBqZN5.png

The variables I am given are d = 8cm cm, and V = 200 V, m = 2.86E-16. I have access to the mass and charge of an electron/ proton.

Here are the ten questions I need to be able to answer:
    1. Gravitational force on the particle
    2. Electrical force on the particle
    3. Electric field strength between... plates?
    4. The charge of the object
    5. Number of excess proton particles
    6. Power difference - changed to 201V: The new field strength
      [*]The new electric force
      [*]The net force
      [*]The acceleration
      [*]The time it will take from...

2. Relevant equations

* The equations of motion.

* Electrostatic equations, such as E = V / d, E = F / q, V = w / q, Work done = Fd = qV = qED.

3. My attempt at a solution

My apolegies, I was confused about numerous things, some are solved now, but I haven't done much since I started, but I still don't understand what other proton particles are being referred to.

Edit: Okay.
    1. Gravitational strength? How is Gravity taking place here?
    2. F = Eq but E = V / d
    F = qV / d
    = 1.6E-31 * 200 / 0.08
    F = 4E-28 N
    But I don't get the diagram, is that halfway, so it's 0.04? I know it's my diagram, but I thought this would be a common question.
    3. E = V / d [?]
    E = 200 / 0.08 [or is it 400 or 0.04 or both?]
    E = 2500 N.C^-1 [Is this an overly high value?]
    4. What object?.. I have a feeling this is my rubbish note-taking's fault. Maybe it wasn't an electron, in fact, I just realised the mass is about 10^15 times higher than an electron... I'm lost.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi ToXic_Knight! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

I think you will discover there is a detail in the question specifications that you have overlooked. If I'm correct, it will answer your puzzlement on this point.

I have the feeling that you have not put a conscientious effort into solving this yourself before posting to the forums to seek assistance. I suggest that you make a better effort, then return here and highlight just one or two points on whch you would like help. Most times you will see your way clear to then solving most of the questions after getting a little assistance at one impasse.

Also, you should post the original question verbatim so we get all pertinent information. You have omitted too much.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 16, 2014 #3
    Alright, sorry. I did not have the original question, and I was looking to see what that may've been. Would you know of any similar questions I could practice?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 17, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you miss something during lectures, it is imperative that you find out what you missed by asking to see the notes of a classmate. There is a good chance that there will be an exam question similar to some of the worked examples discussed in class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted