Motion of a Door as I Walk by it Quickly (no contact)

In summary, the conversation discussed a curious observation of a door swinging towards the person when they walk past it quickly. The initial assumption was that it had something to do with friction and air particles, but upon further discussion, it was suggested that it could be due to the Bernoulli Principle or the piston effect. The conversation then turned to different experiments that could be done to gather more evidence and potentially find the answer. The importance of the scientific method was also emphasized.
Richie Smash
Hey this is just a random question, but recently I've started studying physics, only last year.

Before this I never used to question really a lot of things i took for granted, but now I see the world with a different light although I'm still quite the novice.

Something that used to make me think, when I walk past my bathroom door really fast, it will swing on it's on towards me. I make no contact with the door, as I tested it a few times.

My first assumption was it had something to do with friction of my body and air particles causing them to go into motion and collide with the door at a Force (N). But if this was so, wouldn't the door swing away from me?

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I think it's quite interesting.

Likes FactChecker
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Jason R Carrico and russ_watters
anorlunda said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Congratulations on your curiosity. I may be 100% wrong on this because I can't visualize exactly what you are describing, but it could be the Bernouli Principle. Read up on that.

Wow, I'm probably going to have to spend days reading this, but I won't give up, I'm a page in and suddenly it got complex and my brain is struggling to keep up :D

anorlunda said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Congratulations on your curiosity. I may be 100% wrong on this because I can't visualize exactly what you are describing, but it could be the Bernouli Principle. Read up on that.
.. . . or it could be that the doors are closed in the part of the corridor you are walking towards and you are acting like a piston in a closed cylinder, increasing the pressure in the closed end of the cylinder as you move - pushing the bathroom door. The hinges on the bathroom door must be particularly free. I suggest that the ceiling could be fairly low so that your body take-up a significant proportion of the cross sectional area of the corridor (minus the area of that door.

Likes paulo84 and russ_watters
It's complicated and at least Bernoulli adjacent, but the way I would describe it is that due to your poor aerodynamics, you pull a substantial wake behind you (and push air in front of you), causing an area of low pressure that pulls the door toward you after you pass.

The piston effect can amplify it the pressure change, but cars do the same thing in free air. That's why debris next to a car (like leaves) ends up on the road behind it.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
russ_watters said:
It's complicated and at least Bernoulli adjacent, but the way I would describe it is that due to your poor aerodynamics, you pull a substantial wake behind you (and push air in front of you), causing an area of low pressure that pulls the door toward you after you pass.

The piston effect can amplify it the pressure change, but cars do the same thing in free air. That's why debris next to a car (like leaves) ends up on the road behind it.
Thing is, he's not going faster than about 1m/s. If he could experiment with opening and closing other doors to see if the 'piston effect' is feasible. . . . .?

I think the key to finding the answer could be timing. @Richie Smash , can you do it again and tell us where your body is when the door starts to move? Are you approaching the door? at the door? or already past the door?

Likes FactChecker
I just had another idea. @Richie Smash , maybe we can make a scientist out of you.

You could do the following experiment at home. Take some sheets of ordinary paper. Hang each sheet from a thread and tape it to the ceiling of the hall such that the paper is parallel to the walls. Then set your phone to record video, and walk through the hall. The video will show the papers moving as you pass. You will be able to see which direction they move and when. You might be able to use hanging threads with no paper, if the threads are visible on the video.

What science will you learn from that? Most important is the scientific method; first gather reliable evidence, then think about what the evidence means. That is so much better than a verbal description of the door moving that is so hard to explain accurately. The methods of collecting evidence are more valuable than the answer to the riddle, why do they move?

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies.
To answer your question anorlunda, it moves when I'm past the door.
What I'll do, is measure the length and width of the hall, which has 3 doors, and I'll draw a diagram of this hall, with the location of each door.

And that experiment with the hanging thread and paper sounds pretty good, I'll do that, just need some time so I will get back to you guys.

But the diagram I can do this evening, is that it's currently 10:47am where I live so please hold tight.

sophiecentaur said:
If he could experiment with opening and closing other doors to see if the 'piston effect' is feasible. . . . .?
That wouldn't be analagous; doors seal, so the piston effect works well. A person in a hallway makes a bad piston.

Better tests would be;
1. Try to hug the wall on the other side of the hallway and see if it still happens.
2. Try it with doors not in a hallway.

russ_watters said:
A person in a hallway makes a bad piston.
But also a person walking slowly may not be generating much a bernoulli effect. Changing the situation with the other doors would make a big difference to how effective a piston the moving person is. (Closed cylinder / open ended cylinder pressure changes)
Would you expect the same effect in a large room with 'infinite cross sectional area? I don't think I would. An experiment would help to resolve this.

Richie Smash said:
And that experiment with the hanging thread and paper sounds pretty good, I'll do that,

I like this.The advisers are all saying "experiment" and Richie is saying, "I'll experiment." We're in agreement. :smile:

Take your time Richie. No hurry.

I agree with all, that more experiments would be nice, but the results may be mixed and confusing. @russ_watters 's hypothesis that it is "drafting" as in a car behind a large truck seems most likely to me. The piston theory requires sealed air path down the hall and around corners, which seems less likely. The drafting theory only requires local effects. The force of the "drafting" turbulence behind a moving object is often underestimated. I see trucks and trailers all the time with streamlined front ends but squared-off rear ends. If you've ever ridden a motorcycle close behind a truck, you know that the force is significant.

FactChecker said:
The piston theory requires sealed air path down the hall
That's what I was assuming (all other doors closed). I could imagine the piston effect working in a small, low hallway, already half obstructed by an open door, almost to the ceiling. A human body would take up quite a significant proportion of the area. But we'd need to know the dimensions and the speeds involved.

Hi Guys, Here is a very poor diagram of the hall way each door and the door in question D4. The measurements are approximations for convenience sake.

Observations:

With each door closed besides D4, walked past at a brisk pace at about 1m/s the door swung inwards each time for each attempt.

The door swung inward as I was aligned with it, almost past it but not quite, about when my body was halfway past the doors width, and the same thing happened when I tried to hug the wall as much as possible, this is the wall inside the door's frame, (not shown in diagram.)

I repeated this about 3 times for each scenario, and I got the same result whether D1, D2 and D3 were closed or open.

The exact same thing happened with each door OPEN, as next to D3, is a railing and a large open space going downstairs, I suspect this has something to do with it.

The only walls are marked W1 and W2

Now about the paper hanging experiment, I can probably do that tomorrow, so I will keep posting my observations.

NOTE: THE height of the hallway is about 3 METERS

ALSO: I tried the same experiment with D3, which leads to my room. My room is shaped like a cuboid very uniform and a bigger volume than the hall or the bathroom itself, and to my surprise it did not happen.

I then tried the experiment with a door leading to another bathroom, from a room with a much bigger volume to the other bathroom, which is more rectangular shaped and has a smaller volume, and the door swung inwards again, I don't know if this is some valuable insight but I thought I'd share.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
HERE IS AN UPDATED DIAGRAM

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 532
Likes Andrew Wright
You walk past and drag some of the air with you out of the room.....hence pressure on the inside of the room is more than that near the door.....air particles on the inside side of the door outnumber the ones on the outside side which causes a net force out of the room which pushes the door out of the room causing it to close

Likes Richie Smash and lekh2003
I think this seems to be a simple case of Bernoulli's principle. This happens to me all the time, the velocity of the air on one side generates a pressure differential and the door moves.

If I'm right, this is one of the ways aeroplanes generate lift. The air on the top flows faster than on the bottom and the aeroplane begins to rise.

This thread reminds me of the "How does an aeroplane wing work?" discussions. The Bigendians say it's Bernoulli and the Littleendians say it's Newton 3. Neither is wrong and neither is exclusively right. In this case, the air flowing past the moving body is driven by a pressure difference (Newton 1) and we are only arguing about what is causing that difference, a dynamic effect of the passage through the air or a quasi static effect of displacement. (piston) We could build (at least design) two systems which could work due exclusively to one or the other or a combination of the two. Here, the numbers are important and the diagram that's been supplied is half way there. How high is the corridor, how wide is the door and how fast is 'walking'?

It's neither a pressure build up from a "piston" action, nor Bernoulli. The stairs shown in the updated diagram of post #16 rules out pressure build up (which I thought was unrealistic except in a sealed, air-tight corridor anyway). Bernoulli is also the wrong way to look at this problem. The turbulence and air flow behind the person walking past is the cause. Trying to analyse this problem in more detail is virtually hopeless. Even relatively simple situations require wind tunnel experiments to verify analysis.

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
This thread reminds me of the "How does an aeroplane wing work?" discussions. The Bigendians say it's Bernoulli and the Littleendians say it's Newton 3. Neither is wrong and neither is exclusively right. In this case, the air flowing past the moving body is driven by a pressure difference (Newton 1) and we are only arguing about what is causing that difference, a dynamic effect of the passage through the air or a quasi static effect of displacement. (piston) We could build (at least design) two systems which could work due exclusively to one or the other or a combination of the two. Here, the numbers are important and the diagram that's been supplied is half way there. How high is the corridor, how wide is the door and how fast is 'walking'?

Well the corridor is approximately 3m high, the width of the door is 0.75m and my speed my best estimate is about 0.85 m/s.

Also I didn't wish for this to be an argument i really have been curious about this for a long time, my original hypothesis being Newton's 3rd law as the door would push back with an equal force to the force of the air being pushed against it. I definitely have not reached AP physics, but in my head I'm picturing some sort of air swirling behind the door, kinda like when a car speeds and the leaves fly, you can see a sort of swirling pattern of the air, that would be my best guess, but unfortunately I cannot get more technical and for that I do apologize :(.

I just thought I would share to gain some insight because I enjoy learning.

Last edited:
Richie Smash said:
Also I didn't wish for this to be an argument
Lol. Never post on PF if you don't want to trigger an argument, my friend.
Richie Smash said:
Newton's 3rd law as the door would push back with an equal force to the force of the air being pushed against it.
That is certainly not an answer as N3 says nothing of the sort. You need to read about Newtons Laws and how they actually affect things.
Richie Smash said:
I'm picturing some sort of air swirling behind the door,
That's much more like a good reason. :smile:

Likes lekh2003
Richie Smash said:
Also I didn't wish for this to be an argument
This discussion really says that your question was a good one.

Richie Smash said:
Well the corridor is approximately 3m high, the width of the door is 0.75m and my speed my best estimate is about 0.85 m/s.

Also I didn't wish for this to be an argument i really have been curious about this for a long time, my original hypothesis being Newton's 3rd law as the door would push back with an equal force to the force of the air being pushed against it. I definitely have not reached AP physics, but in my head I'm picturing some sort of air swirling behind the door, kinda like when a car speeds and the leaves fly, you can see a sort of swirling pattern of the air, that would be my best guess, but unfortunately I cannot get more technical and for that I do apologize :(.

I just thought I would share to gain some insight because I enjoy learning.
Knowing exact motions of the air particles would be a godlike achievement...

So instead we talk in the language of pressures...

More density of particles = More pressureBehind the door (in the room) there is high density while in front of door (outside the room) while walking you took away some particles causing low densityIn normal conditions on both sides of door no of particles colliding per unit time is same hence it goes neither way but in this case collision from behind is more than from front hence i guess you are able to imagine what's happening nowThe air particles are playing something like a tug of war where instead of "pulling" on a "rope" particles are "pushing" onto a "door"

So what your role here is that while walking past you took away some of the players from your side and hence decreased the strength causing the other side to winI would suggest at this stage you imagine every phenomenon around you by connecting it to something in everyday life.....build up a story.....have fun with physics...make scenerios your friends maths your toys and your mind your playground...talk play and have fun!

Likes Richie Smash
Altair Tans said:
Knowing exact motions of the air particles would be a godlike achievement...

So instead we talk in the language of pressures...

More density of particles = More pressureBehind the door (in the room) there is high density while in front of door (outside the room) while walking you took away some particles causing low densityIn normal conditions on both sides of door no of particles colliding per unit time is same hence it goes neither way but in this case collision from behind is more than from front hence i guess you are able to imagine what's happening nowThe air particles are playing something like a tug of war where instead of "pulling" on a "rope" particles are "pushing" onto a "door"

So what your role here is that while walking past you took away some of the players from your side and hence decreased the strength causing the other side to winI would suggest at this stage you imagine every phenomenon around you by connecting it to something in everyday life.....build up a story.....have fun with physics...make scenerios your friends maths your toys and your mind your playground...talk play and have fun!

Your explanation really gave me an idea of what is going on now, I do feel satisfied as that has been happening for months.
I also see why I was wrong with N3, because the air particles Force on the door, would be equal to the door's reaction force.
Acceleration of the door would require an unbalanced force.
I see what helps me is to picture things visually, rather than just read everything.

As you walk rapidly forward, the air must flow into the empty spot behind you because "Nature hates a vacuum." When the air flows in behind you, it pushes less against the door. That allows the air on the other side of the door to push it toward you.

There can be a lot more going on, including turbulence, but they do not change the basic facts.

Likes jerromyjon
Ah come on guys. Let's let Richie do his experiment and look at his data before we drown him in conclusions.

Likes sophiecentaur
Richie Smash said:
Something that used to make me think, when I walk past my bathroom door really fast, it will swing on it's on towards me. I make no contact with the door, as I tested it a few times.

My first assumption was it had something to do with friction of my body and air particles causing them to go into motion and collide with the door at a Force (N). But if this was so, wouldn't the door swing away from me?

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I think it's quite interesting.
Bernoulli. Maybe you don't remember or you're too young, but in the past, cars and motorcycles had carburators: gasoline is suck up from a lower container by fast moving air on the carburator's upper pipe.
Here substitute "gasoline" with "door".

--
lightarrow

FactChecker said:
As you walk rapidly forward, the air must flow into the empty spot behind you because "Nature hates a vacuum."
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Venturi...

jerromyjon said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Venturi...
The suggestion of Bernoulli is related to venturi. That may be a perfectly good way of looking at this problem, but it's not simple.

anorlunda said:
I just had another idea. @Richie Smash , maybe we can make a scientist out of you.

You could do the following experiment at home. Take some sheets of ordinary paper. Hang each sheet from a thread and tape it to the ceiling of the hall such that the paper is parallel to the walls. Then set your phone to record video, and walk through the hall. The video will show the papers moving as you pass. You will be able to see which direction they move and when. You might be able to use hanging threads with no paper, if the threads are visible on the video.

What science will you learn from that? Most important is the scientific method; first gather reliable evidence, then think about what the evidence means. That is so much better than a verbal description of the door moving that is so hard to explain accurately. The methods of collecting evidence are more valuable than the answer to the riddle, why do they move?
Ok, so the best I could do was, hung a piece of paper, from tape, I couldn't use a phone to record it, but i looked up while walking (while being afraid I would tumble down) and after many unsuccessful attempts, I noticed the paper swinging from East to West as I walked under it.

I apologize for not being able to carry that out in full but I did attempt.

What I learned... hmmm well I would have to say that, by me displacing air particles at a speed of about 1m/s, I was creating areas of low pressure behind me, causing a vacuum of some sort which the area of higher pressure above and behind me, rushed to fill perhaps.

This is my hypothesis, sorry if its not accurate but I think it seems reasonable.

Richie Smash said:
Ok, so the best I could do was, hung a piece of paper, from tape, I couldn't use a phone to record it, but i looked up while walking (while being afraid I would tumble down) and after many unsuccessful attempts, I noticed the paper swinging from East to West as I walked under it.

I apologize for not being able to carry that out in full but I did attempt.

What I learned... hmmm well I would have to say that, by me displacing air particles at a speed of about 1m/s, I was creating areas of low pressure behind me, causing a vacuum of some sort which the area of higher pressure above and behind me, rushed to fill perhaps.

This is my hypothesis, sorry if its not accurate but I think it seems reasonable.

Congratulations Richie. No need to apologize. It takes years of training and lots of helpers to do professional experiments.

I think you're right about the low pressure behind you. If you re-read this thread, you will see that several of the others said that, although using different words.
There might be higher pressure in front of you, but it might be slightly harder to close that door than to open it.

But the lesson that you already learned is that science is based on evidence. We have ideas (theories) and then run experiments and see if the results are consistent with the idea. Sometimes we get experimental evidence first and then have to come up with ideas to explain it. Either way, evidence is the key ingredient in real science.

I wish you well in your future studies.

1. How does the door move when I walk by it quickly without touching it?

The door moves due to the pressure difference created by your movement. As you walk by the door quickly, you are pushing air molecules in front of you, creating a higher pressure area. This higher pressure pushes against the door, causing it to move.

2. Why does the door only move when I walk by it quickly?

The speed at which you walk by the door determines the amount of pressure created. When you walk by quickly, you create a larger pressure difference, causing the door to move more noticeably. Walking by slowly may not create enough pressure to move the door.

3. Is there a specific direction I need to walk in for the door to move?

No, the door will move in the direction of the pressure difference. This means that if you walk by the door quickly from either side, it will move away from you. However, if you walk by slowly, the door may not move at all.

4. Can the door move in the opposite direction if I walk by it quickly in the other direction?

Yes, the door can move in the opposite direction if you walk by it quickly in the other direction. This is because you are creating a pressure difference on the opposite side of the door, causing it to move towards you instead of away from you.

5. Will the door always move when I walk by it quickly without touching it?

No, the door may not always move when you walk by it quickly. The movement of the door depends on the speed at which you walk by, the distance between you and the door, and the weight and size of the door. Factors like air resistance and friction may also affect the movement of the door.