Exploring Conservation of Mechanical Energy for Aircraft Landing & Falling Ball

In summary, when solving motion problems, it is important to consider whether to use conservation of mechanical energy principles or Newton's laws of motion. Conservation of energy is advantageous in simple problems where friction is neglected, as it is always accurate and eliminates the need for force diagrams. However, it may not always provide enough information, such as in determining the direction of motion, and in such cases, Newton's laws of motion can be more suitable. Additionally, conservation of energy can serve as a useful check for the accuracy of calculations.
Titan
I selected two motion problems:

1) Aircraft landing
2) Ball falling onto the gound

Using conservation of mechnical energy principles I need to fully expain and justify my reasons why its more suitable than applying Newton's laws of motion.

I have already said
a) Newton laws of motions assumes no energy losses
b) Conservation of machnical energy - energy is transfers into other energy.

but what else can I say or how can I expand my reason?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry can you try and say what the question is?
Are you asking, when is it more practical to use conservation of energy and when is it more practical to use Newton's laws to answer a mechanics queastion?

mgb_phys said:
Sorry can you try and say what the question is?
Are you asking, when is it more practical to use conservation of energy and when is it more practical to use Newton's laws to answer a mechanics queastion?

Yes in a way. What I need to do, is to explain why its better (more suitable) to using conservation of mechanical energy principles to apply to the two motions rather then using Newtons laws of motion.

The question, which I was given were to describle two motion problems (of my choice, could be anything sort of problem) It's not asking me to physically solve the problems but rather to explain. I haven't yet fully explain and justify my reasons, that was I need help.

Last edited:
Conservation of energy has the advantage that it is always right for simple physics problems where you neglect friction etc. So initial KE equals PE at the top of the curve = KE at the ground for a projectile. You don't have to do any force diagrams and you can't really get the signs wrong.

But conservation isn't always enough to answer the question such as when you have to describe the direction something will go in. Newton's laws give you more rules for what happens, conservation is a good check - if it is violated you have gone wrong somewhere.

mgb_phys said:
Conservation of energy has the advantage that it is always right for simple physics problems where you neglect friction etc. So initial KE equals PE at the top of the curve = KE at the ground for a projectile. You don't have to do any force diagrams and you can't really get the signs wrong.

But conservation isn't always enough to answer the question such as when you have to describe the direction something will go in. Newton's laws give you more rules for what happens, conservation is a good check - if it is violated you have gone wrong somewhere.

Ok. Are there other advantages of Conservation of energy over Newton's laws of motion?

Last edited:

1. What is conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics which states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but rather it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of mechanical energy apply to aircraft landing?

When an aircraft is landing, its potential energy (due to its height) is converted into kinetic energy (due to its motion). The conservation of mechanical energy ensures that the total amount of energy remains the same throughout the landing process. This is why the aircraft's speed decreases as it approaches the ground, as its potential energy is being converted into kinetic energy.

3. How is conservation of mechanical energy related to a falling ball?

Similar to an aircraft landing, when a ball is dropped from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. The conservation of mechanical energy ensures that the ball's total energy remains constant, and its speed increases as it falls due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy.

4. What factors affect the conservation of mechanical energy in aircraft landing and falling ball experiments?

The main factors that affect the conservation of mechanical energy in these experiments are the height of the aircraft/ball, the mass of the aircraft/ball, and the presence of any external forces (such as air resistance) that may impact the energy conversion process.

5. Why is understanding conservation of mechanical energy important for aircraft design?

In aircraft design, it is crucial to understand the principles of conservation of mechanical energy to ensure safe and efficient flights. By considering the conversion of potential and kinetic energy, engineers can design aircrafts that can take off, fly, and land effectively while conserving energy and minimizing fuel consumption.