Find Acceleration: Solving v^2=4s-3

• Thread starter bondgirl007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the question is asking to find the acceleration when t=1s given the equation v^2=4s-3. The solution involves differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to time and solving for the acceleration, which is a constant value of 2. In another similar question, the equation is s^2-6v^2=10 and the acceleration is found to be s/12.
bondgirl007

Homework Statement

If v[tex]^{2}[/tex]=4s-3, find the acceleration when t=1s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that acceleration is the derivative of velocity, which is the derivative of distance but how do I get the derivative with both v and s in the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
v is velocity, s is distance or time? There's a problem with v^2=4s-3. The units on both sides don't appear to match.

S is distance but I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

Since, as you say, "acceleration is the derivative of velocity" (with respect to time), you find the acceleration by differentiating wih respect to time.

Differentiating both sides of v2= 4s- 3 with respect to time: using the chain rule, of course: 2v v'= 4s'. Now v'= a, the acceleration, and s'= v, so that equation is
2va= 4v and a= 2, a constant!

Dick, if you assume the "4" and "3" given are dimensonless then, yes, the right side has units of "distance2/time2" while the right side has two parts: one with units of "distance/time" and the other dimensionless- so they can't even be combined. However, if we assume that "4" is really "4 m/s2" and the "-3" is really "-3 m2/s2",then we are alright

Thank you so much!

I have another question similar to this and was wondering if I did it right. Here's the question and my attempt:

s[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 6v[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 10. Find the acceleration in terms of the distance.

2s (ds/dt) - 12v dv/dt = 0
2s (ds/dt) - 12(ds/dt)(a) = 0
2s (ds/dt) = 12(ds/dt)(a)

a = s/12.

Am I right?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be described as the increase or decrease in an object's speed or direction of motion.

2. How do you find acceleration?

To find acceleration, you can use the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the equation v^2=4s-3 used for?

This equation is used to solve for acceleration when given the initial velocity v, final velocity 0, and displacement s of an object moving with constant acceleration. It can also be used to calculate the distance traveled by an object with constant acceleration.

4. How do you solve the equation v^2=4s-3?

To solve this equation, you can follow these steps:

• Isolate the v^2 term by adding 3 to both sides of the equation
  • Divide both sides by 4 to get v^2 alone on one side of the equation
  • Take the square root of both sides to get v by itself

5. Can this equation be used for objects with non-constant acceleration?

No, this equation can only be used for objects with constant acceleration. For objects with non-constant acceleration, the acceleration must be calculated using other methods, such as using the equation a = Δv/Δt at different time intervals.