Calculating Acceleration of a Toy Train with a Sticking Wheel

• Thread starter Steve Halt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
The train's acceleration is -1 m/s^2 after the wheel begins to stick. In summary, the toy train is pushed forward and released at a speed of 2.0 m/s and rolls for 2.0 s before one wheel begins to stick. It comes to a stop 6.0 m from the release point. Using the kinematics equation v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2*a*x, it can be determined that the train's acceleration is -1 m/s^2 after the wheel begins to stick.
Steve Halt

Homework Statement

A toy train is pushed forward and released at x_0 = 2.0 m with
a speed of 2.0 m/s. It rolls at a steady speed for 2.0 s, then one
wheel begins to stick. The train comes to a stop 6.0 m from the
point at which it was released. What is the magnitude of the
train’s acceleration after its wheel begins to stick?

Homework Equations

x_f = x_i +v*t +(1/2)*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

O, well, I guess my attempt is this:

at x_0 = 2 m
v_0 = 2m/s
a_0 = 0 m/s^2

at x_1 = 6 m
v_1 = 2 m/s
a_0 = 0 m/s^2

and finally, through the relevant equation above,

8 = 6 + (2)(t) + (1/2)(a*t^2)

I have no idea how to complete this from here. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a different kinematics equation.

Well, okay, how about

v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2*a*x

0 = (4) +2*a*(2)

-4 = 4*a

a = -1 m/s^2

so the magnitude of the acceleration is 1 m/s^2. But it can't be this simple now can it?

That looks right to me.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a toy train with a sticking wheel?

To calculate the acceleration of a toy train with a sticking wheel, you will need to measure the distance the train travels in a certain amount of time. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Make sure to use consistent units for all measurements.

2. What causes a toy train's wheel to stick?

There are a few possible causes for a toy train's wheel to stick. It could be due to debris or dirt on the track, an uneven track surface, or a malfunctioning wheel or axle. It's important to thoroughly inspect the train and track to determine the cause of the sticking wheel.

3. How can you fix a sticking wheel on a toy train?

If the sticking wheel is due to debris or dirt on the track, you can clean the track and wheels with a soft, dry cloth. If the track surface is uneven, you may need to adjust or replace the track. If the wheel or axle is malfunctioning, you may need to replace the part or seek professional repair.

4. Does the weight of a toy train affect its acceleration with a sticking wheel?

Yes, the weight of a toy train can affect its acceleration, even with a sticking wheel. Heavier trains may experience slower acceleration due to the increased force needed to overcome the sticking wheel. However, this can also depend on other factors such as the train's motor power and track surface.

5. Can you use the same method to calculate acceleration for any type of toy train?

Yes, the formula for calculating acceleration (a = (vf - vi)/t) can be used for any type of toy train as long as the measurements are taken accurately and consistently. However, the factors affecting acceleration, such as weight and track conditions, may vary for different types of trains.