Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion simulator software control

1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    Hello Everyone. Thank you for reading this. :smile:

I have a made a motion simulator pneumatically controlled. It is a bowl held by a stationary cradle with air cylinders tilting the bowl left,right, forwards and backwards. The software to control the cylinders is giving me fits. I am treating it with a simple linear function, ie;

if distance from desired position to actual position >5 give cylinders some air
    if distance from desired position to actual position >50 give cylinders more air, etc.

I get a lot of oscillations and overshoots. The air is compressible and I am moving weight either up or down a curve. (A model might be a pendulum with very high friction and the weight is a heavy sponge.) I think I must take into account starting position, inertia, lag, speed, etc. in a very high function equation. Any suggestions for me would be so appreciated, I do not know where to turn to learn more for this fun practical application.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feedback . PID control .

Post a photograph of the set up .

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Aug 30, 2016 #3
    Will do when I get home. Pretty basic setup;string pot on air cylinders controlled by microcontroller and proportional valve.

5. Sep 4, 2016 #4

JBA

You may need to add more increments than just the two feed rates with a very small amount of feed as the bowl approaches the desired position and, a certain amount of deadband space (allowable out of position error band) is going to be required at the "desired position"; otherwise, the system will not be able to establish a stable point. If speed is important use a form of geometric progression on the feed rates as the distance from the desired position increases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted