Motion simulator software control

In summary, the conversation was about a motion simulator that is pneumatically controlled. The software used to control the cylinders is causing issues with oscillations and overshoots due to the compressibility of air and the weight being moved. The person is looking for suggestions on how to improve the control, including taking into account starting position, inertia, lag, and speed. A photograph of the setup was also mentioned, along with the suggestion to add more increments and a deadband space for stability. Using a form of geometric progression for feed rates as the distance from the desired position increases may also be helpful.
curt5101
Hello Everyone. Thank you for reading this. :smile:

I have a made a motion simulator pneumatically controlled. It is a bowl held by a stationary cradle with air cylinders tilting the bowl left,right, forwards and backwards. The software to control the cylinders is giving me fits. I am treating it with a simple linear function, ie;

if distance from desired position to actual position >5 give cylinders some air
if distance from desired position to actual position >50 give cylinders more air, etc.

I get a lot of oscillations and overshoots. The air is compressible and I am moving weight either up or down a curve. (A model might be a pendulum with very high friction and the weight is a heavy sponge.) I think I must take into account starting position, inertia, lag, speed, etc. in a very high function equation. Any suggestions for me would be so appreciated, I do not know where to turn to learn more for this fun practical application.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 480
Engineering news on Phys.org
Feedback . PID control .

Post a photograph of the set up .

Last edited:
Will do when I get home. Pretty basic setup;string pot on air cylinders controlled by microcontroller and proportional valve.

You may need to add more increments than just the two feed rates with a very small amount of feed as the bowl approaches the desired position and, a certain amount of deadband space (allowable out of position error band) is going to be required at the "desired position"; otherwise, the system will not be able to establish a stable point. If speed is important use a form of geometric progression on the feed rates as the distance from the desired position increases.

1. What is motion simulator software control?

Motion simulator software control is a type of technology that allows for the control and manipulation of movements in a simulated environment. This control is typically used in motion simulators, which are machines that replicate the movements and sensations of a real-life experience.

2. How does motion simulator software control work?

Motion simulator software control works by using a combination of sensors, actuators, and software to detect and interpret user input and translate it into movements in the simulator. The software then adjusts the actuators accordingly to simulate the experience.

3. What are the benefits of motion simulator software control?

There are several benefits to using motion simulator software control. It can provide a more immersive and realistic experience, improve training and simulation for various industries, and can also be used for entertainment purposes.

4. How is motion simulator software control used in scientific research?

Motion simulator software control is used in scientific research to study human responses to different environments and stimuli. It can be used to simulate various scenarios and measure physiological and psychological responses, which can then be used to inform and improve real-life situations.

5. What are some examples of motion simulator software control in action?

Motion simulator software control is used in a variety of industries, including aviation, military, racing, and entertainment. Some examples include flight simulators used for pilot training, driving simulators for testing and developing new car models, and theme park rides that use motion simulation to enhance the experience.