Motions in Space Homework: Find Table Height, Falling Time

• Thread starter emk555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, a bowling ball rolls off a giant's table at a speed of 15 m/s and lands 45 m from the base of the table. Using the equations v=d/t and t=d/v, the time it takes for the ball to fall is 3 seconds. To find the height of the table, the equation Dy = (1/2)*g*t^2 can be used, with g being the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2 or 10m/s^2). Without knowing the value of g, the height of the table cannot be determined.
emk555

Homework Statement

A bowling ball rolls off a giant's table at a speed of 15 m/s and lands 45 m from the base of the table.

(a) for how many seconds is the ball falling?
(b) how high is the table?

s=15 m/s
d=45 m
v(i)=0
v(f)=15 m/s ?
t=?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
t=d/v
d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

t=45 m / 15m/s

(a) t=3 s

(b) i honestly have no clue

Physics news on Phys.org
Use
Dy = (1/2)*g*t^2

where g is acceleration due to gravity. Use 9.8m/s^2 or 10m/s^2 depending on what your course uses.

1. What is motion in space?

Motion in space refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference in outer space. This can include the movement of planets, stars, satellites, and other objects in the universe.

2. How is table height related to falling time?

The height of a table is directly related to the falling time of an object dropped from the table. The higher the table, the longer it will take for the object to fall to the ground due to the force of gravity.

3. How can I find the height of a table?

To find the height of a table, you can use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance from the ground to the top surface of the table. Make sure to measure from the same point on the ground to ensure accuracy.

4. What factors affect falling time?

Falling time is affected by the height from which an object is dropped, the mass and size of the object, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on falling time.

5. How can I calculate falling time?

To calculate falling time, you can use the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the falling time, h is the height of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s² on Earth). Alternatively, you can use online calculators or physics equations to determine falling time.