1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motive behind the proof in f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) is continuous

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is: Suppose f is a function with the property f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for x,y in the reals. suppose f is continuous at 0. show f is continuous everywhere.

I saw this post as an alternative solution that doesn't use epsilon-delta:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1987108&postcount=4

But I'm not sure how one would be motivated to set h=x-a...
    I know it's a nice step and all that ultimately proves the statement, but what would be the main motivation for this?

NOTE: I understand this solution fully. I just want to know how one is motivated to think this way...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The best answer is try to prove it by yourself. Forget the proof you just saw. Start by trying to prove limit f(x) as x->0 must be 0. Then try and prove it your own way.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We were given that f is continuous at x= 0 and want to show that it is continuous at x= a. So I would think the "translation" x-> x- a that maps a to 0 would be obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook