Motive behind the proof in f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) is continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to prove the continuity of a function f(x) using the property f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and the fact that f is continuous at x=0. One solution suggests using h=x-a as a motivation for the proof, but the main motivation is to try and prove the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 must be 0 on one's own.
albert1993

Homework Statement

The problem is: Suppose f is a function with the property f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for x,y in the reals. suppose f is continuous at 0. show f is continuous everywhere.

I saw this post as an alternative solution that doesn't use epsilon-delta:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1987108&postcount=4

But I'm not sure how one would be motivated to set h=x-a...
I know it's a nice step and all that ultimately proves the statement, but what would be the main motivation for this?

NOTE: I understand this solution fully. I just want to know how one is motivated to think this way...

Physics news on Phys.org
The best answer is try to prove it by yourself. Forget the proof you just saw. Start by trying to prove limit f(x) as x->0 must be 0. Then try and prove it your own way.

Last edited:
We were given that f is continuous at x= 0 and want to show that it is continuous at x= a. So I would think the "translation" x-> x- a that maps a to 0 would be obvious.

1. What is the significance of proving f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) is continuous?

The proof of f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) being continuous is significant because it establishes a fundamental property of linear functions. This proof is used in various branches of mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. How does this proof relate to real-world applications?

This proof is crucial in real-world applications that involve linear systems, such as engineering, economics, and physics. It allows us to model and analyze real-world scenarios using linear functions, which can simplify complex problems.

3. What are the key steps in the proof of f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) being continuous?

The key steps in the proof involve showing that the limit of f(x+y) as (x,y) approaches (a,b) is equal to the limit of f(x)+f(y) as (x,y) approaches (a,b). This is done by using the definition of continuity and properties of limits.

4. Are there any exceptions to this proof?

Yes, there are exceptions to this proof. It only holds for linear functions, meaning functions of the form f(x) = mx + b. It does not apply to non-linear functions, such as quadratic or exponential functions.

5. What are the practical implications of this proof?

The practical implications of this proof are extensive. It allows us to solve and analyze linear equations and systems, which are commonly found in real-world problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of linear functions and their graphs, making it a useful tool in many areas of mathematics and science.