Motor current to voltage converter

In summary, the Safe deposit box uses a motor to open and close the box, but if the door is blocked when closing or opening, the current needed for the motor will increase and the box will not work. To check if the door is blocked, the user will need to measurement the current generated by the motor with an ADC and if the current is high, then the door is most likely blocked.
electronproto
Hi all..

I'm designing a Safe deposit box..
It use motor to open and close the box..
but i want to know if the door is blocked when closing/opening..

I realize that the current needed for the motor will increase if it's blocked..

I'm using ATmega ADC, but it need voltage input..
so i need a current-voltage converter to know if it's blocked or not..

can someone provide me with circuit and explanation?

thx

Daniel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Current shunt? (There are high-precision < 1 Ohm resistors sold for this purpose)

hi.. can u help me by providing the schematic (with the motor)..

I'm still newbie in electronics..

thx

You just need to put the shunt resistor at the tail end of your h-bridge. That's presuming that you're using a DC motor here, by the way.

The shunt resistor will have a small voltage generated because all of the current going through the motor will go through it before going to ground (V=I*R_shunt). You just measure this voltage (using the ADC, and maybe an amplifier--remember, it's not a very high voltage when you only have 50 mOhm) and you can calculate the current (or just set a threshold ADC value for a short condition, without having to do any of this math).

electronproto said:
hi.. can u help me by providing the schematic (with the motor)..

I'm still newbie in electronics..

thx

You need to do the schematic yourself -- it's *your* project. You should be able to do it with he advice that MATLAB has provided so far, plus some additional research on your own. We do not do your homework or your project schematics for you here on the PF.

Just wanted to throw out another posibility if this is not a school project; although using a motor loading circuit that you are designing will work fine. One could use some sort of proximity swith to sense the door not being fully closed.

On second thought, your design might be better in that you could also make it reverse the motor so that you could remove your finger should it get in there.

Just a curious side note, but is this how garage doors work when they sense someone (or something) stuck under it? I could see the shunt trick being a quick and easy way to sense something blocking the path.

1. What is a motor current to voltage converter?

A motor current to voltage converter is a device that converts the current flowing through a motor into a proportional voltage signal. It is commonly used in motor control and monitoring systems to measure the current being drawn by a motor.

2. How does a motor current to voltage converter work?

A motor current to voltage converter works by using a precision resistor to measure the current flowing through a motor. The voltage drop across the resistor is proportional to the current, and this voltage is then amplified and converted into a usable output signal.

3. What are the benefits of using a motor current to voltage converter?

Using a motor current to voltage converter allows for accurate measurement and monitoring of motor current, which can help with detecting motor faults or inefficiencies. It also provides a way to control the motor's speed or torque based on the current drawn.

4. Are there different types of motor current to voltage converters?

Yes, there are different types of motor current to voltage converters, such as shunt, series, and hall effect. Each type uses a different method to measure the current and has its own advantages and applications.

5. How accurate are motor current to voltage converters?

The accuracy of a motor current to voltage converter depends on various factors, including the quality of components used, calibration, and environmental conditions. Generally, they can provide a high level of accuracy, with some converters having accuracy within 1% of the measured current.