Motor necessary to power a small cart

In summary: However, the original question was about the suitability of a 6.5kg/cm torque motor for a small go cart and a kid weighing a total of 45kg. Can you provide a summary of this information in relation to the original question? Thank you!In summary, the 6.5kg/cm torque motor provided in the link is not suitable for moving a small go cart and a child weighing a total of 45kg. This is because the motor only has an output of 13W, which is significantly lower than the recommended 500-1500W for this type of vehicle. A more suitable motor would be a 500-1000W scooter motor, which can be found at a cheaper price. It is important
dracalb
Is a 6.5kg/cm torque motor enough to move (let.s say at 6km/h) a small go cart and a kid (total w. about 45kg)?

this is the motor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T48KC1Q/?tag=pfamazon01-20

PS: this is not for a homework but for a for-fun project.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Right offhand I'd say no. It looks like the RPM is 200, and I'm assuming the torque is 6.5 kg-cm(?). So available torque at 1:1 ratio on a 25 cm diameter tire would be about half that, or 3.25 kg-cm. To get to 6 km/hr with the same tire you would need about 3:1 speed increase, which would reduce the torque to about 1.1 kg-cm. With all the other considerations (rolling resistance, elevation increases in common roads, even flat ones) I don't see it working.

Anyone else?

Power = Torque * angular velocity
Power in Watts
Torque in Nm
angular velocity in rads/s

200rpm = 200*2*pi/60 = 21rads/s
6.5 kg.cm = 0.64 Nm

So that motor develops...

Power = 21 * 0.64 = 13W

Google says Kids carts typically use 500W motors and adult carts 1500W.

So way too small.

1. What type of motor is necessary to power a small cart?

The type of motor necessary to power a small cart will depend on the size and weight of the cart, as well as the terrain it will be used on. Generally, a DC motor with sufficient torque and power output is suitable for a small cart.

2. How do I determine the power requirements for the motor?

To determine the power requirements for the motor, you will need to consider the weight of the cart and its load, the desired speed, and the incline of the terrain. This information can be used to calculate the required torque and power output of the motor.

3. Can I use a battery to power the motor?

Yes, a battery can be used to power the motor. However, it is important to choose a battery with the appropriate voltage and capacity for the motor. Additionally, the battery should be able to provide enough current to meet the power requirements of the motor.

4. How do I calculate the gear ratio for the motor?

The gear ratio for the motor can be calculated by dividing the output speed by the input speed. The output speed is the desired speed of the cart, and the input speed is the speed of the motor. A higher gear ratio will result in the cart moving at a slower speed but with more torque, while a lower gear ratio will result in a faster speed with less torque.

5. What is the maximum load a small cart can carry with a motor?

The maximum load a small cart can carry with a motor will depend on the power and torque of the motor, as well as the design and weight capacity of the cart. It is important to choose a motor and cart combination that can safely carry the desired load without putting too much strain on the motor.