Motor Sizing Help (Basic Rotational Inertia Problem)

In summary, David Warren is having trouble with powering a stepper motor to rotate a weight through an angular acceleration. He is uncertain about the motor's power and needs help sizing it for the task at hand. He has a model and a printout of the relevant data. The mass he is trying to rotate has a moment of inertia of 90.7 lb*in^2. The torque required to rotate it is low and the motor specs indicate a max power of 8 watts.
dswarrenga
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with an application involving rotating a 10.8lb device through 60 degrees of rotation using a stepper motor (Hurst 4006-004: step angle .1 degrees, Output speed 3.33 rpm, rated torque at 175 pulses/sec of 162 oz-in). It appears that the motor is underpowered and I may need to increase it however when I try applying some basic physics, I don't see where the motor can possibly be underpowered. Maybe someone can help me. Here's what I have:

Moment of Inertia about the rotating axis: 90.8 lb*in^2
Angular velocity .348 rad/sec
Time to reach full velocity, .25 seconds

I of course am neglecting friction in this simplified analysis (mainly because I don't know how to apply it here. It's a aluminum to aluminum sliding contact joint)

Any insight here on how to properly size a situation like this would be very helpful.

Warmest Regards,

David warren

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you describe the set up just a bit, i.e. geometry and how things are connected/restrained?

Friction can be a tough thing to estimate. According to Mark's Handbook, aluminum-aluminum contact without lubrication results in a coefficient of static friction of 1.35. So right there, for two flat pieces, you need to add 35% on to the weight to account for breaking static friction.

The motor mounts to the very bottom shaft. When activated, it rotates the entire assembly. I have modeled the coordinate systems as shown at the bottom and have calculated the mass at 10.8 lbs and the Izz at 90.7 lb*in^2. The square plate at the bottom is rigidly affixed to a large box and doesn't rotate (it serves as the bearing). I don't have the true angular accelerartion of the motor as the spec sheet doesn't say so I'm having to guess at it. I know the whole aasembly slews pretty fast through the require 60 degree arc so it has to be pretty fast. Hope this helps.

David Warren

Attachments

• 1020046_stripped.jpg
    1020046_stripped.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 507
I did some quick numbers, and the torque required to rotate the mass through that angular acceleration is pretty low. I am getting around .027 Ft-Lbf. This doesn't look at the overall power available from the motor however. Does the spec sheet call out a max power?

This, combined with your model, makes me wonder about a couple of things:

1) Like you already mentioned, friction. Is it possible to put a thrust bearing at the bottom where the mount plate is?

2) The load distribution and the transferred load to the shaft of the stepper motor. Are you certain that the mass that you are trying to rotate is not applying a side load on the stepper motor shaft?

The motor specs indicate a max torque of 162 oz*in @ 175 pulses/sec, input power 8 watts, voltage 12vdc. Unfortunately that's it.

The printout from the cad program is as follows:

VOLUME = 4.9690188e+01 INCH^3
SURFACE AREA = 6.3583122e+02 INCH^2
AVERAGE DENSITY = 2.1778886e-01 POUND / INCH^3
MASS = 1.0821969e+01 POUND

CENTER OF GRAVITY with respect to CSYS_PART_DEF coordinate frame:
X Y Z 4.0248265e-01 -4.8382887e-01 -5.5962498e+00 INCH

INERTIA with respect to CSYS_PART_DEF coordinate frame: (POUND * INCH^2)

INERTIA TENSOR:
Ixx Ixy Ixz 4.5954778e+02 -1.1090908e+00 2.5133556e+01
Iyx Iyy Iyz -1.1090908e+00 5.0086922e+02 -1.6748325e+01
Izx Izy Izz 2.5133556e+01 -1.6748325e+01 9.0778344e+01

INERTIA at CENTER OF GRAVITY with respect to CSYS_PART_DEF coordinate frame: (POUND * INCH^2)

INERTIA TENSOR:
Ixx Ixy Ixz 1.1809190e+02 -3.2164824e+00 7.5822281e-01
Iyx Iyy Iyz -3.2164824e+00 1.6019358e+02 1.2553534e+01
Izx Izy Izz 7.5822281e-01 1.2553534e+01 8.6491949e+01

PRINCIPAL MOMENTS OF INERTIA: (POUND * INCH^2)
I1 I2 I3 8.4364123e+01 1.1793060e+02 1.6248270e+02

ROTATION MATRIX from CSYS_PART_DEF orientation to PRINCIPAL AXES:
-0.03787 0.99693 -0.06856
-0.16477 0.06144 0.98442
0.98560 0.04858 0.16194

ROTATION ANGLES from CSYS_PART_DEF orientation to PRINCIPAL AXES (degrees):
angles about x y z -80.658 -3.931 -92.175

RADII OF GYRATION with respect to PRINCIPAL AXES:
R1 R2 R3 2.7920664e+00 3.3011108e+00 3.8748099e+00 INCH

I established the new coordinate system along the shaft at the bottom edge with the (+z) axis co-axial whith the shaft and pointing down. I believe we can fit in a new bearing design for improvements. I'm also pretty sure there is some possibility of side shaft loading as the CG of the system is offset from the axis of revolution, however its only off by about .4". I'm not sure how big a contribution that would be. If I'm reading the motor spec correctly, 162 oz*in would relate to about a 10lb force on the @1" shaft. (If I'm following the equations correctly).

dswarrenga said:
The motor mounts to the very bottom shaft. When activated, it rotates the entire assembly. I have modeled the coordinate systems as shown at the bottom and have calculated the mass at 10.8 lbs and the Izz at 90.7 lb*in^2. The square plate at the bottom is rigidly affixed to a large box and doesn't rotate (it serves as the bearing). I don't have the true angular accelerartion of the motor as the spec sheet doesn't say so I'm having to guess at it. I know the whole aasembly slews pretty fast through the require 60 degree arc so it has to be pretty fast. Hope this helps.

David Warren
I never get anything right using mass pounds, so bear with me. Are you saying the radius of gyration is about 3 inches?

FredGarvin said:
Can you describe the set up just a bit, i.e. geometry and how things are connected/restrained?

Friction can be a tough thing to estimate. According to Mark's Handbook, aluminum-aluminum contact without lubrication results in a coefficient of static friction of 1.35. So right there, for two flat pieces, you need to add 35% on to the weight to account for breaking static friction.

Later on, I realized you probably nailed the problem, Fred. I don't see any mention of a flexible coupler; is there one? If not, you may have enough radial eccentricity to overload the motor.

There is no flexible coupler. The shaft of the motor simple is inserted into the bottom of the shaft and pinned in place with a key pin. There is some flexibility permitted, but not a great deal. Unfortunately the person who designed this is no longer availible for consult. I clocked the deflection time for 60 degrees (the range of motion on the motor) from rest at 5 seconds. We definitely aren't talking about a fast moving motor here.

Ideally there should be a flexible coupler that is rigid torsionally but allows for misalignment. That would alleviate the side loading issues to a large extent as well.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a property of an object that describes how difficult it is to change its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How does rotational inertia affect motor sizing?

Rotational inertia plays a crucial role in determining the torque required to accelerate or decelerate a rotating object. To properly size a motor for a given application, the motor must be able to provide enough torque to overcome the rotational inertia of the load.

3. What factors affect rotational inertia?

The main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object, the distribution of the mass, and the axis of rotation. Objects with larger masses and more spread out mass distributions have higher rotational inertia.

4. How do I calculate rotational inertia?

The formula for calculating rotational inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass. However, for more complex objects, the calculation may require integration or the use of specialized formulas.

5. Are there any other considerations for motor sizing besides rotational inertia?

Yes, there are other factors that should be taken into account when sizing a motor for a specific application. These include the speed and acceleration requirements, the type of load being driven, and any external forces or friction that may affect the motor's performance.