Motors & Generators practical investigation ideas

In summary, a physics student in Australia is seeking ideas for a practical investigation on electric motors and generators. They have covered Faraday's Law, Lenz's Law, and calculating EMF in class but are unsure of what can be easily tested. Suggestions include investigating the variation of EMF with rotation speed and direction, as well as determining the direction of the EMF. Lenz's Law, which prevents getting more energy out than put in, is also a potential topic to explore. The student also asks for help with using an electromagnetic field motor and shares a picture of their kit. They continue to welcome any ideas for DC motors.
jon5555
Hey everyone

I'm a physics student doing my last year of high school in Australia.
For an assessment task I have to do a practical investigation on electric motors and generators but I am a bit lost on this subject.
I need a few ideas that are easy to understand and prove/disprove using a simple 3 volt electric motor.
We've covered things like Faraday's Law, Lenz's Law and calculating EMF in class but I'm not sure what can easily be done for an investigation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
Investigate how the EMF varies with rotation speed and direction. Also what the direction of the EMF is (as judged perhaps by the direction of current).

Lenz's law is the most interesting - it prevents you from getting more energy out than you put in. Not sure off the top of my head how you would test that though.

Thanks atyy. I will definitely investigate the emf. Sorry for my late reply. My net was down while changing providers.

Does anyone know how to use an electromagnetic field motor. I've got a kit and have followed the instructions but haven't been able to get it to work. When I use permanent magnets it works just fine. Here's a pic http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/346/2409081040kz5.jpg

Also, I'm still up for any ideas for DC motors. For this subject I am truly a lost cause :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Motors & Generators practical investigation ideas

1. What are some simple motors and generators that can be used for a practical investigation?

Some simple motors and generators that can be used for a practical investigation include DC motors and generators, AC motors and generators, and hand-crank generators.

2. What are some potential variables that can be tested in a motors and generators practical investigation?

Some potential variables that can be tested in a motors and generators practical investigation include the number of coils, the strength of the magnetic field, the type of wire used, and the speed of rotation.

3. How can the efficiency of a motor or generator be measured in a practical investigation?

The efficiency of a motor or generator can be measured by comparing the input energy (electrical energy) to the output energy (mechanical energy). This can be calculated by dividing the output energy by the input energy and multiplying by 100% to get a percentage.

4. What are some safety precautions that should be taken when conducting a motors and generators practical investigation?

Some safety precautions that should be taken when conducting a motors and generators practical investigation include wearing appropriate protective gear, using low voltage power sources, and ensuring all connections are secure to prevent electrical shocks.

5. What are some real-world applications of motors and generators that can be explored in a practical investigation?

Some real-world applications of motors and generators that can be explored in a practical investigation include electric vehicles, wind turbines, and household appliances. Students can investigate how different designs and variables affect the efficiency and performance of these devices.