Mousetrap Cars, Various thoughts that need clarification

In summary, the conversation is about designing a mousetrap car for a high school assignment and the questions and considerations the person has regarding the design. They ask about using a smaller diameter wheel in the front for efficiency, using a PVC insert for reduced friction, and the optimal point for wheelbase and car length. They also mention using a 13 CM arm for acceleration and the importance of steering and weight distribution. The other person gives some suggestions and advice, but ultimately says that it will be a matter of trial and error.
Aracon504
Let me start off by saying I'm not 100% certain that this is the correct forum for this to be posted in, if I'm incorrect in doing so, I apologize.

I've found several threads previously discussed about mousetrap cars, none of which answer the questions I have.

I have four days to design and produce a working mousetrap car that's premesis is to travel the furthest distance. I'm in High School, so it it is a pretty basic assignment, but they will be raced, and I like to research & understand situations the best that I can. So without further adieu:

These are some of the thoughts & questions I have any input/help would be greaaaaatly appreciated.

A) Will using a smaller diameter wheel in the front be advantageous to the efficiency of the vehicle? Or will it hinder by losing surface area traveled? (Note: The drive axle per usual, the rear...)

B) We were debating on using a PVC insert within the frame so that we could better lube the axle and reduce friction between the axle & frame. Thoughts? (Also considered using a type of plastic clip that would allow the axle to be mounted under the vehicle's frame...)

C) Most importantly steering, the width of the wheelbase provides stability, and the length (correct me if I'm wrong) will provide a greater distance traveled...I'm sure there is an optimal point in which these theories achieve a the best possible results. Any ideas whereabouts it is? The maximum length of the cars is 50CM/ No max width.

We will most likely be using a 13 CM arm, but again if for some reason this would be too large, please shoot me some details!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, most of your acceleration is focused on your back wheels. The back would push the whole car forward in order for the whole thing to move. So really, the front wheels should be something like the back, but a little smaller. You want something with the thickness of a CD, but about as small as a spool rod.
What I did was use a hollow plastic tube on top of a slippery marker. The tube is free to be attached to the frame, and the marker, being the axle, isn't interfered with rolling. It also helps the friction because the tube can also roll along with the marker just in case.
Steering depends on whether your car has to travel to a certain point marked on the floor or if the judges measure how long your car goes. If it's to a certain point, you'll have to make the steering almost perfect. Otherwise, it won't really matter. The width matters in the way that weight will affect the car, but it'll also heighten the wheel-axle ratio, if that's what you want. Finally, the length will probably affect the string length to however long the string can be. The longer the car, the more string you'll use, but the more weight there'll be.
Other than all I've told you, it's really a matter of trial and error.

I would first like to commend you for taking the time to research and understand the principles behind mousetrap cars. It is always important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts in any project, no matter how basic it may seem.

Now, to address your questions:

A) Using a smaller diameter wheel in the front may indeed be advantageous in terms of efficiency. This is because a smaller wheel requires less torque to rotate, which means the mousetrap's energy can be used more efficiently. However, it is important to consider the surface area traveled as well. A larger wheel will cover more distance with each rotation, so it may be beneficial to use a larger wheel if the surface is smooth and flat. It may be helpful to do some testing with different wheel sizes to see which one provides the best results for your specific track.

B) Using a PVC insert to reduce friction between the axle and frame is a good idea. Reducing friction will definitely improve the efficiency of the car. As for the plastic clip, it may also help reduce friction, but make sure it is secure enough to hold the axle in place during the race.

C) You are correct in saying that the wheelbase width provides stability and the length can affect the distance traveled. Finding the optimal point will depend on the specific design of your car and the track it will be racing on. It may be helpful to experiment with different wheelbase lengths to see which one provides the best results. Keep in mind that a longer wheelbase may also increase the weight of the car, so it is important to find a balance between stability and weight.

Lastly, a 13 CM arm should be a good length for your mousetrap car. However, it is always a good idea to test and make adjustments if needed.

Overall, my advice would be to experiment with different designs and variables to see which one works best for your specific project. Keep in mind the principles of efficiency, friction, and stability, and don't be afraid to make adjustments as needed. Good luck with your project!

1. How does a mousetrap car work?

A mousetrap car works by converting the stored potential energy in a mousetrap into kinetic energy that propels the car forward. The mousetrap is attached to the axle of the car, and when triggered, the spring in the trap unwinds, pulling the string and turning the axle, which then rotates the wheels and causes the car to move.

2. What materials are needed to build a mousetrap car?

The materials needed to build a mousetrap car vary, but generally include a mousetrap, wooden or plastic wheels, an axle, string, and a body for the car. Other materials that can be used include cardboard, rubber bands, and metal rods. The key is to use lightweight and sturdy materials that can be easily attached to the mousetrap and allow for smooth movement.

3. How can I make my mousetrap car go faster?

To make a mousetrap car go faster, you can try a few different things. First, you can make sure the wheels are aligned and properly inflated. You can also reduce friction by adding lubricant to the axles and wheels. Additionally, adding weights to the car can increase its momentum and make it go faster. However, be careful not to add too much weight as it can slow the car down.

4. Can I use a different type of trap for my mousetrap car?

Yes, you can use a different type of trap for your mousetrap car, but it may affect the performance and design of the car. The key is to make sure the trap has enough power to propel the car forward and that it can be easily attached to the car's axle. Some popular alternatives to mousetraps include rubber bands and springs.

5. How can I improve the design of my mousetrap car?

There are many ways to improve the design of a mousetrap car. Some suggestions include adding aerodynamic features such as a streamlined body or reducing the weight of the car. You can also experiment with different wheel sizes and materials to see what works best for your car. Additionally, researching and learning from other successful mousetrap car designs can provide valuable insights and ideas for improvement.