Moving point charges - help debugging

In summary, the equation gives the angles of sum of the two vectors. When these angles are added together, the resulting vector is pointing down and to the left.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was successful with finding a solution. But, only because I tried the practice version of that (where you can see the answers) and noticed the equation I derived gave angles that, when summed with the correct answer, yielded 180*.

Can someone tell me why?

START:

Since Bead 1 is stationary, we know its electric field will be in the direction of the positive x axis.

[itex]E_{1} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{q_{1}}{r^{2}} \hat{i}[/itex]

While Bear 2 can be moved, thus its field will be a function of theta.

[itex]E_{1} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{q_{2}}{r^{2}}cos(\theta) \hat{i} + \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{q_{2}}{r^{2}}sin(\theta) \hat{j}[/itex]

Thus, we add these two vector equations together for net E, and take the magnitude. After a bit of algebra we get:

[itex]E^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})^{2} = q^{2}_{1} + 2q_{1}q_{2}cos(\theta) + q^{2}_{2}cos^{2}(\theta) + q^{2}_{2}sin^{2}(\theta)[/itex]

By factoring out the q2 squared and noting the trigonometric identity,

[itex]E^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})^{2} = q^{2}_{1} + 2q_{1}q_{2}cos(\theta) + q^{2}_{2}[/itex]

[itex]E^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})^{2} - q^{2}_{1}- q^{2}_{2}= 2q_{1}q_{2}cos(\theta)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{E^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})^{2} - q^{2}_{1}- q^{2}_{2}}{2q_{1}q_{2}}= cos(\theta)[/itex]

For a final formula of:

[itex]arccos(\frac{E^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})^{2} - q^{2}_{1}- q^{2}_{2}}{2q_{1}q_{2}}) = \theta[/itex]

However, the value of the number within the arccos function is the negative of what it should be.

This gives me the answer correctly:

[itex]arccos(- \frac{E^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})^{2} - q^{2}_{1}- q^{2}_{2}}{2q_{1}q_{2}}) = \theta[/itex]

Why?

Attachments

• circlecharge.jpg
    circlecharge.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
[itex]E_{1} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{q_{2}}{r^{2}}cos(\theta) \hat{i} + \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{q_{2}}{r^{2}}sin(\theta) \hat{j}[/itex]

Consider the direction of the electric field of bead 2 and decide on the signs of its x and y components.

I think I understand you.

While cos(45) is positive, at an angle 45 B's electric field is pointing down and towards the left.

Right?

Yes :smile:

Thank you very much.

1. What is the concept of moving point charges?

Moving point charges refer to electrically charged particles that are in motion. These charges can be either positive or negative and are characterized by their magnitude and direction of movement.

2. How do moving point charges behave in an electric field?

Moving point charges are affected by the presence of an electric field. They experience a force that is perpendicular to both their direction of motion and the direction of the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity of a moving point charge and the electric field strength?

The velocity of a moving point charge is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the velocity of the charge also increases.

4. How does the motion of a moving point charge affect the strength of an electric field?

The motion of a moving point charge can create or change the strength of an electric field. If the charge is accelerating, it can generate electromagnetic waves and create a changing electric field. If the charge is moving at a constant velocity, it can create a static electric field.

5. How can I debug issues with moving point charges in my experiments?

If you are experiencing issues with your moving point charge experiments, some common debugging techniques include checking for any faulty connections, re-calibrating your equipment, and double-checking your calculations. You may also try adjusting the parameters of your experiment, such as the charge magnitude or the strength of the electric field, to see if that resolves the issue.