Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    Hello, I am new to this forum.

I read the thread about the water flow in a rectangular tube because I wanted to correlate what was being said into my own problem.

My question I believe is very simple:

I have a rectangular tube that has inner dividers, let's say that my tube has 6 channels inside that are 7.15mm L X 3.54mm W, plus a 7th channel 7.15mm L X 5mm W.

Lets's say also that if I neglect the inner walls, the result is a bigger rectangle, roughly 29.3mm L x 7.15mm W.

I need to come up with the Hydraulic Diameter for the whole tube.

What is the approach I should take:

a) should I add the seven Hydraulic Diameters for each inner tube?

b) should I neglect the inner walls and calculate for the whole tube?

When I add up each channel's HDs, the results is 3 times higher than when I calculate for the whole tube, neglecting the inner walls.

I would really like your input on this subject, and I am sorry if this is so simple I had overlooked the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

hi chup
    That won't work, you'll get an enormous equivalent pipe diameter.

That won't work either. The inner walls create frictional pressure drop that you'd be neglecting.

The only way I know of to do this is to treat all seven diameters as independant flow paths.
  4. Feb 9, 2007 #3
    Q_Goest: Thank you, that seems to be the most logical approach.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?