Which Multimeter is More Accurate: ±1%+2 or ±2.5%+2?

In summary: The accuracy includes the precision (represented by the +2) and the error (represented by the ±). In summary, the lower percentage accuracy is more accurate, and the +2 represents the least significant digit being off by 2.
nothing909

Homework Statement

Which multimeter is more accurate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Which multimeter is more accurate, one that is ±1%+2 or one that is ±2.5%+2

I don't know how to read it, is it the higher percentage one that's more accurate or the lower percentage one?
I think it's the lower percentage one but I'm not too sure.

Also, what does the +2 mean? Does that make much of a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:

Homework Statement

Which multimeter is more accurate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Which multimeter is more accurate, one that is ±1%+2 or one that is ±2.5%+2

I don't know how to read it, is it the higher percentage one that's more accurate or the lower percentage one?
I think it's the lower percentage one but I'm not too sure.
Lower would be more accurate.
nothing909 said:
Also, what does the +2 mean? Does that make much of a difference?
I don't know what the +2 means, either. Where did you see this? Can you post a link or a picture?

Here

Attachments

• ds.PNG
    ds.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 356
The explanation isn't very clear, and I think they might have a typo. If the actual voltage is 100 V, an error of +/- 1% would give a range of indicated values between 99.0 V and 101.0 V. The + 2 has to do with the least significant digit being off by 2. They go on to say it could be as low as 99.8 V or as high as 101.2 V. I believe the low value should be 98.8 V, not 99.8 V.

Mark44 said:
The explanation isn't very clear, and I think they might have a typo. If the actual voltage is 100 V, an error of +/- 1% would give a range of indicated values between 99.0 V and 101.0 V. The + 2 has to do with the least significant digit being off by 2. They go on to say it could be as low as 99.8 V or as high as 101.2 V. I believe the low value should be 98.8 V, not 99.8 V.
Yea, I notice that now, that's why I was so confused. I couldn't find a clear explanation online so I came here. Thanks for clearing it up.

My comment is consistent with the link that nsaspook provided. (Look on the tab with Accuracy.)

1. What do the numbers ±1%+2 and ±2.5%+2 mean?

The numbers ±1%+2 and ±2.5%+2 refer to the accuracy of a multimeter. The ± symbol indicates the tolerance or margin of error, while the numbers after it represent the percentage of error and the additional fixed error. So, ±1%+2 means the multimeter has a tolerance of 1% of the reading plus an additional fixed error of 2 units.

2. Which multimeter is more accurate, ±1%+2 or ±2.5%+2?

In terms of accuracy, ±1%+2 is more accurate than ±2.5%+2. This is because the former has a smaller tolerance of 1% compared to the latter's tolerance of 2.5%. This means that the readings obtained from a multimeter with ±1%+2 are closer to the actual value than those from a multimeter with ±2.5%+2.

3. Can the accuracy of a multimeter affect my measurements?

Yes, the accuracy of a multimeter can affect your measurements. If a multimeter has a lower accuracy, it means that the readings obtained are more likely to have a higher margin of error. This can lead to inaccurate measurements, especially when working with sensitive or precise instruments.

4. How do I know the accuracy of a multimeter before purchasing it?

The accuracy of a multimeter is usually indicated in the product specifications or on the packaging. Look for the ± symbol followed by a percentage and a fixed error value. The lower the percentage and fixed error, the more accurate the multimeter is.

5. Is it worth investing in a more accurate multimeter?

It depends on your specific needs and the type of measurements you will be making. If you work with sensitive or precise instruments, it may be worth investing in a more accurate multimeter to ensure accurate readings. However, for general use, a multimeter with ±2.5%+2 accuracy may be sufficient.