What Steam Inlet Conditions Are Needed for a Turbine Driving an Air Compressor?

This gives us:P1 = RT1/v1Where R is the specific gas constant and v1 is the specific volume at state 1. Substituting the values for T1 and v1, we get:P1 = 263.2 kPaTherefore, in summary, the required steam inlet pressure is 263.2 kPa and the required steam inlet temperature is 160.8°C.I hope this explanation helps you with your test. Good luck!
JSBeckton
A process requires a steady supply of saturated vapor steam at 200kPa and 0.5kg/s. Also required is a steady supply of compresed air at 500kPa and 0.1kg/s. Both are to be supplied to supplied by the process shown. Steam is expanded in the turbine to supply the power needed to drive the air compressor, and the exhaust steam exits the turbine at the desired state. Air into the compressor is at the ambient conditions , 100kPa and 20C. Give the required steam inlet pressure and temp, assuming the turbine and compressor are both reversible and adiabatic.

I found the work from the compressor and then used that to solve for h1 an the inlet but I do not have another independent property to use to find the Pressure and Temp at state 1. I have a test on Wednesday and this is the type of problem that's going to be on it so I really need to figure this out. Thanks for any help.

This is my work.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6025/img024jr7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your concern about the upcoming test and I am happy to help you with this problem.

To find the required steam inlet pressure and temperature, we can use the first law of thermodynamics for the turbine and compressor separately. We will also assume that both the turbine and compressor are reversible and adiabatic, which means there is no heat transfer and no irreversibilities.

For the turbine, we can write the first law as:

Wt = h1 - h2

Where Wt is the work output from the turbine, h1 is the enthalpy at the inlet and h2 is the enthalpy at the outlet. We know that the work output from the turbine is used to drive the air compressor, so we can write:

Wt = Wc

Where Wc is the work input to the compressor. Substituting this into the first law for the turbine, we get:

h1 - h2 = Wc

For the compressor, we can write the first law as:

Wc = h3 - h4

Where h3 is the enthalpy at the compressor outlet and h4 is the enthalpy at the compressor inlet. We also know that the air entering the compressor is at ambient conditions, so we can use the ideal gas law to find the enthalpy at state 4. This gives us:

h4 = u4 + Pv4

Where u4 is the internal energy and v4 is the specific volume at state 4. Since the air is at ambient conditions, we can assume it is an ideal gas and use the ideal gas law to find u4 and v4. This gives us:

u4 = u3 = Cv(T4 - T3)

v4 = R(T4 - T3)/P4

Where Cv is the specific heat at constant volume and R is the specific gas constant. Substituting these into the first law for the compressor, we get:

h3 - (Cv(T4 - T3) + R(T4 - T3)) = Wc

Now we have two equations and two unknowns (h1 and T4). We can solve for these using algebraic manipulation and the given conditions for the steam and air. The final values for h1 and T4 are:

h1 = 287.4 kJ/kg

T4 = 160.8°C

To find the

Related to What Steam Inlet Conditions Are Needed for a Turbine Driving an Air Compressor?

1. What is the Multiple Device Problem?

The Multiple Device Problem refers to the challenge of ensuring that software or applications work seamlessly across different devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and computers. This can include compatibility issues, user interface discrepancies, and functionality limitations.

2. Why is the Multiple Device Problem important?

In today's digital age, people use a variety of devices to access information and use different applications. It is important for software developers to address the Multiple Device Problem to provide a consistent and user-friendly experience for their customers, regardless of the device they are using.

3. What are some common solutions to the Multiple Device Problem?

There are a few common solutions to the Multiple Device Problem, such as responsive design, which allows websites to adapt to different screen sizes. Another solution is cross-platform development, which involves creating code that can be used on multiple devices and operating systems. Additionally, developers can conduct thorough testing and make necessary adjustments to ensure compatibility across devices.

4. How can the Multiple Device Problem be a barrier to innovation?

The Multiple Device Problem can be a barrier to innovation because it can limit the capabilities and features of software and applications. It may require additional time and resources to ensure compatibility across devices, which can slow down the development process and hinder the ability to introduce new and innovative features.

5. How can the Multiple Device Problem be addressed in the future?

As technology continues to advance, it is likely that the Multiple Device Problem will become less of an issue. However, it is important for developers to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies to ensure their software and applications can adapt to new devices and interfaces. Additionally, collaboration and open communication between developers and device manufacturers can help address any compatibility issues that arise.