1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple integrals for finding volume

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    How do I solve this? How do I determine the range? Ill they be triple integrals?Please explain to me.

Find the volumes in R3.

1. Find the volume U that is bounded by the cylinder surface x^2+y^2=1 and the plane
    surfaces z=2, x+z=1.

2. Find the volume W that is bounded by the cylindrical surfaces
    x^2 + y^2 = 1 and x^2 + z^2 = 1.

I know these are 2 questions and they're both about finding volumes but the second one seems to have 2 cylinders :confused: ??I don't get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi aruwin! :smile:

these integration problems are basically about slicing the volume in a convenient way

for the first one …
    … horizontal slices seem sensible:

what is the shape of the horizontal slice at a general height z ?
    yes, two cylinders

again, try horizontal slices, write the second condition as x2 = 1 - z2, and remember the RHS is a constant (for that slice) :wink:

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3
    Horizontal slice?You mean, like a triangle?? And what do you mean by RHS is a constant?:confused:

5. Jul 8, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

won't one side be curved? :confused:
    in x2 = 1 - z2, z is constant for any particular slice

6. Jul 8, 2012 #5
    LOL,of course one side should be a curve. My bad, I meant horizontal slice as in a slanting plane. Is that what you refer to as horizontal slice?

7. Jul 8, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, a horizontal slice means between the horizontal planes at heights z and z+dz

8. Jul 8, 2012 #7
    Can you show me a diagram for the first cylinder?I am guessing it looks like a cylinder with the one slanting surface but I can't picture the XYZ coordinate inside it. I really need to see a picture.

9. Jul 9, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, it is a cylinder with one slanting surface :smile:

but the easiest way of integrating is to divide it into horizontal slices (so each slice is a "damaged" circle with a bit sliced off)

you could integrate by dividing it into slanting slices, but

i] you'd have to define a new parameter x+z, and integrate with respect to that

ii] you'd need to know the formula for the area of an ellipse (ok, i admit that's fairly easy)

iii] you'd still have a problem with "damaged" circles at the bottom!​

10. Jul 10, 2012 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Before leaping into calculus, think what this shape looks like. What shape might you make with two of them?

I think this one would be much easier using vertical slices in the x-z plane. The slices would be squares.

11. Jul 10, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oooh yes … horizontal slices work, but vertical slices are easier! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook