Multiple mass-spring-damper system

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a 2-spring-damper system with three levels and a force applied to the ground level. The forces on each level are listed and equations are mentioned to solve the problem. The discussion also touches on the concept of active suspension control and the use of simulink. There is also a question about the initial displacement of the springs.
Jamesss
I posted this in the general forum but it probably belongs here.
This is a tricky one!

I'm unsure about the forces on the ground level.

The problem is a 2-spring-damper system with three levels. A ground level, level 1 and level 2. Then a force is applied to the ground level simulating an Earth quake (eg the force could be sinusoidal). See the attachment for a diagram.

These are the forces I have resolved:

-level 2 mass:
gravitational force, m0*g (down)
Spring Force2, K1*(x1-x0) (up)
Damper Force2, b1*(x1'-x2') (up)
Inertial Force, m*x0'' (down)

-level 1 mass:
gravitational force, m*g (down)
Spring Force1, K1*(x2-x1) (up)
Damper Force1, b1*(x2'-x1')(up)
Inertial Force, m*x1'' (down)
Spring Force2, K1*(x1-x0) (down)
Damper Force2, b1*(x1'-x2') (down)

-level ground mass:
driving force (earthquake) = some function eg sine
g-force, mg (down)
Spring Force1, K1*(x2-x1) (down)
Damper Force1, b1*(x2'-x1')(down)
Inertial Force = m*x2'' (down)

I have tried to solve this using simulink, but for the positions of each level they fall towards negative oblivion. I am thinking I either have forgotten some force added too many.

Have I left anything out? *thinking*
James

Attachments

• mass.JPG
    mass.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 723
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, this looks a bit like active suspension control...

i get following equations :

m0x0" = -k1(x0-x1)-b1(x0'-x1') + U
m1x1" = k1(x0-x1) + b1(x0'-x1') - U - k1(x1-x2) - b1(x1'-x2')
m2x2" = k1(x1-x2) + b1(x1'-x2') - U

Ofcourse you need to add the overall gravitational force which you implemented correctly in my opinion.

x : position
x' : velocity
x" : acceleration

just for clarity...

regards
marlon

m0 is level two
m1 is level 1
m2 is groundlevel

Just to make sure, ok ?

regards
marlon

Thanks Marlon for the reply. What about when I add a driving force on ground level?
This is assuming that the springs are fully relaxed? I have calculted the displacements due to the weight of each level. What should be done to may this system dynamic?

Thanks
James

edit: oops for some reason I thought U=mg. U= driving force! But still does this consider the initial displacement of the springs?

Last edited:

Related to Multiple mass-spring-damper system

1. What is a multiple mass-spring-damper system?

A multiple mass-spring-damper system is a physical system composed of multiple masses connected by springs and dampers. It is used to model the behavior of mechanical systems, such as car suspensions or buildings during an earthquake.

2. What are the components of a multiple mass-spring-damper system?

The components of a multiple mass-spring-damper system include masses, springs, and dampers. The masses represent the objects in the system, the springs provide the restoring force, and the dampers dissipate energy to reduce the system's oscillations.

3. How does a multiple mass-spring-damper system behave?

A multiple mass-spring-damper system behaves by oscillating back and forth around its equilibrium position. The frequency and amplitude of the oscillations depend on the properties of the masses, springs, and dampers.

4. What is the equation of motion for a multiple mass-spring-damper system?

The equation of motion for a multiple mass-spring-damper system is a set of second-order differential equations that describe the forces acting on each mass. These equations can be solved to determine the positions and velocities of the masses at any given time.

5. How is a multiple mass-spring-damper system analyzed?

A multiple mass-spring-damper system can be analyzed using various mathematical methods, such as eigenvalue analysis, frequency response analysis, and modal analysis. These methods allow for the prediction of the system's behavior and the design of systems with desired characteristics.