1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple problems to solve by means of integration

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    Hey
    Recently I have been given multiple problems to solve by means of integration. There are some problems which I am unsure on how to go about solving, or just don’t know. All help is greatly appreciated.

_______________________________​

Find the indefinite integral of [tex]\int {xe^{x^2 } } \;dx[/tex]

This problem I simply do not know how to solve.

Find the indefinite integral of [tex]\int {\frac{7}{{x^2 + 4x + 12}}} \;dx[/tex]

This problem I began by trying to find factors of denominator of the fraction however found none. My reasoning on how to go about solving this problem is shown below, however I am unsure about my final answer.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    f\left( x \right) = \int {\frac{7}{{x^2 + 4x + 12}}} \;dx \\
    \int {\frac{7}{{\left( {x + 2} \right)^2 + 8}}} \;dx \\
    \int {\frac{7}{{u^2 + 8}}} \;dx\quad \quad u = x + 2 \\
    u' = \frac{{du}}{{dx}} \\
    dx = \frac{{du}}{{u'}} \\
    dx = \frac{{du}}{1} \\
    \int {\frac{7}{{u^2 + 8}}} \;du \\
    7\int {\frac{1}{{u^2 + 8}}\,du} \\
    f\left( x \right) = \ln \left| {u^2 + 8x} \right| + c \\
    f\left( x \right) = \ln \left| {\left( {x + 2} \right)^2 + 8x} \right| + c \\
    f\left( x \right) = \ln \left| {x^2 + 12x + 4} \right| + c \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

There are others, but I'll only post these for now. I'll go back and try the others again and I may not need to post them here. Thanks in advance again,
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2
    For the first do the sub. u = x^2

As for the second problem, the integral of 1/(u^+8) is not ln(u^+8). One way to check if you've got the right answer, is to take the derivative of the result and see if you obtain the integrand.

int(1/(u^+8)) is quite easy. Do you know the integral of 1/(x^2+a^2), where 'a' is a constant?

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3
    I am unfamiliar with the integral of 1/(x^2+a^2), where 'a' is a constant, could you please explain how to derive this integral. Thanks.

5. Oct 24, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

It is a 'table integral', and it equals [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}=\frac{1}{a}\arctan (\frac{x}{a})+C[/tex].

6. Oct 24, 2006 #5
    For that use the sub. [tex]x = a\tan{\theta}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?