Multipole expansion. Problems with understanding derivatives

In summary, The student attempted to find the multipole expansion of a function using the Taylor series. However, they ran into trouble with the derivates and needed help from the teacher.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I want to find the multipole expansion of

[tex] \Phi(\vec r)= \frac {1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int d^3 r' \frac {\rho(\vec r')}{|\vec r -\vec r'|}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Taylor series

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution was to use the Taylor series. I tried to approach 1/|r-r'| around r'/r (that's what the task told me to, because r>>r').

I found the taylor series for [tex] \frac {1}{\sqrt{(1-x)}}[/tex]

Which I can use I guess for this problem, where my x is:
[tex]2 \frac {\vec r\vec r'}{r^2} -\frac {r'^2}{r^2}[/tex]

so I get

[tex] \frac {1}{| \vec r - \vec r'|}= \frac {1}{r} \frac {1}{\sqrt{ 1- 2 \frac {\vec r \vec r'}{r^2} + \frac {r'^2}{r^2}}} [/tex]But now I'm stuck. I don't know how to handle the derivates. Do I only have to derive the vector r' with nabla or r'^2 aswell?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your question, you will need to take partial derivatives of the r'2 term as well as the r##\cdot##r' term with respect to x', y', and z'. Just think of the argument of the square root as some function of x', y', and z'.

Use the vector form of Taylor Expansion i.e.
f(x+h) = f(x) + (h.grad)f(x) + [(h.grad)^2]f(x) + ...

where x and h are vectors, grad is the usual gradient operator and "." indicates the dot product.

Thanks for your help. I know that this has something to do with Nabla, but I don't understand why I have to use Nabla here actually.

you just have to use the binomial expansion for the term which you got in op.Different higher order terms in r'/r represents monopoles,dipoles,quadrupoles etc.

Last edited:
Lindsayyyy said:
Thanks for your help. I know that this has something to do with Nabla, but I don't understand why I have to use Nabla here actually.

I think what you're referring to as nabla is what I call grad.

Just do the vector taylor expansion as I mentioned, this was the box standard thing to do back in electrodynamics exams. Oh, and use summation convention to make life easier.

1. What is a multipole expansion?

A multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a complicated function or physical quantity as a sum of simpler functions or quantities. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify complex systems or problems.

2. How is a multipole expansion different from a Taylor series?

A multipole expansion is a generalization of a Taylor series, where a function is approximated as a sum of terms with increasing powers of a variable. However, in a multipole expansion, the terms are not necessarily polynomials and can include other types of functions.

3. What are the applications of multipole expansion?

Multipole expansion has several applications in physics, including in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to approximate electric and magnetic fields, potential energy, and other physical quantities.

4. What are some common problems with understanding derivatives?

Some common problems people face when understanding derivatives include difficulty with the concept of a derivative, confusion with the different types of derivatives (e.g., partial derivatives, total derivatives), and difficulty with visualizing and interpreting derivatives in real-world situations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of derivatives?

To improve your understanding of derivatives, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra. It can also be helpful to practice with various examples and exercises, and to seek clarification from a teacher or tutor when needed. Additionally, visual aids and real-world applications can help with understanding the concept of derivatives.