Integrating with Respect to Z: Multivariable Calculus HW Problem

• Thread starter Rozenwyn
  • Start date
In summary, the person was trying to solve an equation for an ellipse but it wasn't centered along the z axis. They were helped by someone and now they are fine.
Rozenwyn
I got stuck on the 3rd question and now I kinda don't know what to do. Can someone help me a bit ?

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1786/scan5eq3.png

I drew a graph and shaded the region W.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8185/q3qw2.jpg

I thought it would be a good idea to integrate with respect to Z first. So I got:

[tex] V = \int \ \int \ \int_{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}^{\frac{4-x-y}{2}} \,dz[/tex]

Then I got stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for the curve where the plane intersects the cone in terms of x and y and you'll get the equation of the ellipse in the xy plane that bounds the "shadow" of the shape. Let the integral over x and y go over the interior of this ellipse.

That's what I have been trying to do but setting
[tex] \frac{4-x-y}{2} = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] leads me to a dead end.

I get
[tex]4-x-y-x+\frac{x^2}{4} + \frac{xy}{4} -y+\frac{xy}{4}+\frac{y^2}{4} = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

[tex]4-2x-2y-2xy = \frac{3}{4}x^2 + \frac{3}{4}y^2[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Try defining new variables u=x+y and v=x-y, which are rotated at 45 degrees to x and y, so that the u and v axes lie along the principal axes of the ellipse.

I don't see how it helps since I can't define [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] in terms of u or v ?

Why not? Solve for x and y in terms of u and v.

Ok so this is what I did.
x = (u+v)/2 & y = (u-v)/2

[tex] \frac{4-u}{2} = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{u+v}{2} \right)^2+ \left( \frac{u-v}{2} \right)^2}[/tex]

Am I on the right path ?

*edit, yeah u're right. fixed now.

Last edited:
If you used my definition of u and v, you didn't solve for x and y correctly. There shouldn't be a factor of 1/2 on one and not the other.

So from this I get:
[tex] \frac{16-8u+u^2}{4} = \frac{2u^2+2v^2}{4} [/tex]

[tex]16-8u+u^2=2u^2+2v^2[/tex]

If I go further:

[tex] 16 = u^2+8u+v^2[/tex]

[tex] 16 + 16 = u^2+8u+16+v^2[/tex]

[tex] 32 = (u+4)^2 + v^2[/tex]

[tex] \frac{(u+4)^2}{32} + \frac{v^2}{16} = 1[/tex]

Now this is an equation of an ellipse but it is not centered along the z axis. Did I do something wrong ?

Last edited:
That looks right. There's no reason to expect the ellipse to be centered at the z-axis. Imagine the plane was at a much steeper angle, then the ellipse would have one end close to the z-axis and one far away.

So can I set up the integral this way ?

[tex] \int_{-4\sqrt{2}}^{4\sqrt{2}} \ \int_{-\sqrt{16- \frac{(u+4)^2}{2}}}^{\sqrt{16- \frac{(u+4)^2}{2}}} \ \int_{\sqrt{ \left( \frac{u+v}{2} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{u-v}{2} \right)^2}}^{\frac{4-u}{2}} \,dz\,dv\,du
[/tex]

P.S. Plz let this be right. Editing the code for this is a *****. ! :p

Last edited:
I'm not going to check all your algebra, but that looks like the right idea. Just one more thing: when you change variables from x,y to u,v you need to remember that dxdy is not just replaced by dudv, there is an extra factor. This is the jacobian determinant, or if you're not familar with this, you can derive it geometrically by seeing the area of the parellelogram in u,v space corresponding to the tiny rectangle dx by dy.

Thank you for your help. I should be fine after this.:smile:

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions with multiple variables. It involves the application of calculus concepts such as differentiation and integration to functions with two or more variables.

2. Why is Multivariable Calculus important?

Multivariable Calculus is important because it is the foundation for many other fields of study such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems with multiple variables.

3. What are some common applications of Multivariable Calculus?

Some common applications of Multivariable Calculus include optimization problems in economics and engineering, vector calculus in physics and mechanics, and surface area and volume calculations in geometry and architecture.

4. What are the key concepts in Multivariable Calculus?

The key concepts in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector-valued functions, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are used to analyze and solve problems involving multiple variables.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Multivariable Calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving Multivariable Calculus problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques. Practice is also crucial, so working on a variety of problems and seeking help when needed can also be beneficial.