1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Since consumers cannot be outside the set of affordable bundles, we get the rate of exchange that consumers face provided the spend all of their budget

dy/dx = -Px/Py (where Px is the price of good x, PY is the price of good y)

by totally differentiating the budget constraint and requiring that dm = 0, where m is total income. Suppose now that the consumer is a price taker in the x market but not a price taker in the y market. What is the rate of exchange that the market offers the consumer?

2. Relevant equations

dy/dx = -Px/Py
    m = Px(X) + Py(Y), where X and Y represent total number of goods X and Y, respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to totally differentiate the budget constraint. In other words, I take the derivative of the equation m = Px(X) + Py(Y). Then I have to figure out how altering the quantity of Y with affect Py, the price of Y.

By rearranging the equation m = Px(X) + Py(Y), I get Y = (-Px/Py)(X) + m/Py, and since dm= 0, we arrive at the equation dy = (-Px/Py)dx.

I don't know what to do from here. Can someone please help?
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2
    nevermind. i got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?