1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Complex Analysis: Uses in physics?

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is the first time I've used this forum for myself. :approve:

OK, I'm picking out courses for next semester. Right now I'm in the second semester of Complex Analysis (based on Serge Lang's book) which is a grad level course in single variable complex analysis. My school offers a third course, in multivariable complex analysis and I'm tempted to take it. However, I want to use my time wisely and my whole objective is to study mathematics in order to become a better physicist.

So, do any of our physicists here ever need to know this subject? If so, in what area(s) do you work?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

Just out of curiosity is the course you are considering listed as multivariable complex analysis?

Just curious since it is usually called SCV which is short for Several Complex Variables, which is short for Function Theory of Several Complex Variables.

Although I am not a physicist I have studied enough SCV that I might provide some information for you to consider.

Namely, you should first consider what kind of physicist you are hoping to be. If you are hoping to be a theoretical physicist who is going to be studying about the geometry of the universe then it might be good to know about complex manifold and SCV. There might be other cases but you would have to first say what you are shooting for and then ask about that specific area of physics.

Another issue to consider is that there are several aspects of SCV and they are not always covered equally treated in a course. You should ask the professor who would be teaching the course what would be covered. SCV can be studied from the point of views and focus of PDEs, (differential) geometry, differential topology, algebraic geometry, etc...

Depending on your professor's choice this could affect on how useful the SCV course will be for your physics career.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?