1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable limit definition question

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm reading through Taylor's advanced calculus and came across this question in section 7.2 :

http://gyazo.com/6b0c5a2e4e605ff77bf6584eb3295948

2. Relevant equations

The definition of the partial of f with respect to some variable at some point (a,b), lets say the partial with respect to x of some f(x,y) would be :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (a, b) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(a+h, b) - f(a, b)}{h}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so the question wants me to compute the second partials given the conditions on f.

So first I note that f is continuous everywhere for x,y ≠ 0. I also note that f(x,0) = f(0,y) = f(0,0) = 0 has been defined nicely for me as to make my function continuous at (0,0).

I suppose first that I'll show that [itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} = -1[/itex]. So I first have to do a subsidiary calculation to find the first partial with respect to x.

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, 0) - f(0, 0)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{0 - 0}{h} = 0[/itex]

Okay, that was not so bad since f was nicely defined for us. Now here comes my problem when I try to find the second partial. Note that when I use subscripts I refer to the partial of the function with respect to that variable. So [itex]f_x = \frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{k→0} \frac{f_x(0, k) - f_x(0, k)}{k} (***)[/itex]

I'm labeling this equation (***) so I can return to it after I calculate fx(0,k). Now to calculate it :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - h^2arctan(h/k)}{h} = 0[/itex]

Now this produces a big problem when I plug it back into (***) as I don't get the answer of -1 which I'm apparently supposed to get :

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{k→0} \frac{f_x(0, k) - f_x(0, k)}{k} = \lim_{k→0} \frac{0 - 0}{k} = 0[/itex]

What am I doing wrong here? Have I missed something or have I done a calculation wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think there is a typo here. The last limit should be

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h)-k^2arctan(h/k)}{h}[/tex]

This limit is not zero, I think.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You sir, have made my day. That will teach me to speed through my calculations too quickly haha.

So really I would get :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - k^2arctan(h/k)}{h}[/itex]

and switching to polar co-ordinates ill presume will give me my desired result?

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, try to work in polar coordinates. I think that'll make things easy.

6. Oct 15, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm I've hit a hitch in my calculations again :

For h=rcosθ and k = rsinθ we get :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - k^2arctan(h/k)}{h} = \lim_{r→0} \frac{r^2cos^2θarctan(tanθ) - r^2sin^2arctan(cotθ)}{rcosθ}[/itex]

Which tends to 0 as r tends to 0?

7. Oct 15, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hmmm, maybe going over in polar coordinates was not a good idea after all. The problem is that [itex]h\rightarrow 0[/itex] doesn't exactly correspond to [itex]r\rightarrow 0[/itex].

I actually don't think it is too hard to calculate the original limit explicitely:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h)-k^2 arctan(h/k)}{h^2}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} h \cdot arctan(k/h) - k^2\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{arctan(h/k)}{h}[/tex]

The first limit is 0 (why?). The second limit can be calculated by l'Hopitals rule.

8. Oct 15, 2012 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The first limit is 0 because of the squeeze theorem. After applying L'Hospital's rule I get (2h)arctan(k/h) - k and as h→0, (2h)arctan(k/h) - k → -k just like I wanted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook