Multivariable limit definition question

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem in advanced calculus that involves calculating partial derivatives and using the definition of the partial of a function with respect to a variable at a point. The problem involves finding the second partial of a given function at a specific point and the conversation includes discussions about calculations, possible typos, and using polar coordinates to simplify the problem. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm reading through Taylor's advanced calculus and came across this question in section 7.2 :

http://gyazo.com/6b0c5a2e4e605ff77bf6584eb3295948

Homework Equations

The definition of the partial of f with respect to some variable at some point (a,b), let's say the partial with respect to x of some f(x,y) would be :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (a, b) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(a+h, b) - f(a, b)}{h}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the question wants me to compute the second partials given the conditions on f.

So first I note that f is continuous everywhere for x,y ≠ 0. I also note that f(x,0) = f(0,y) = f(0,0) = 0 has been defined nicely for me as to make my function continuous at (0,0).

I suppose first that I'll show that [itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} = -1[/itex]. So I first have to do a subsidiary calculation to find the first partial with respect to x.

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, 0) - f(0, 0)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{0 - 0}{h} = 0[/itex]

Okay, that was not so bad since f was nicely defined for us. Now here comes my problem when I try to find the second partial. Note that when I use subscripts I refer to the partial of the function with respect to that variable. So [itex]f_x = \frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{k→0} \frac{f_x(0, k) - f_x(0, k)}{k} (***)[/itex]

I'm labeling this equation (***) so I can return to it after I calculate fx(0,k). Now to calculate it :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - h^2arctan(h/k)}{h} = 0[/itex]

Now this produces a big problem when I plug it back into (***) as I don't get the answer of -1 which I'm apparently supposed to get :

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{k→0} \frac{f_x(0, k) - f_x(0, k)}{k} = \lim_{k→0} \frac{0 - 0}{k} = 0[/itex]

What am I doing wrong here? Have I missed something or have I done a calculation wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading through Taylor's advanced calculus and came across this question in section 7.2 :

http://gyazo.com/6b0c5a2e4e605ff77bf6584eb3295948

Homework Equations

The definition of the partial of f with respect to some variable at some point (a,b), let's say the partial with respect to x of some f(x,y) would be :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (a, b) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(a+h, b) - f(a, b)}{h}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the question wants me to compute the second partials given the conditions on f.

So first I note that f is continuous everywhere for x,y ≠ 0. I also note that f(x,0) = f(0,y) = f(0,0) = 0 has been defined nicely for me as to make my function continuous at (0,0).

I suppose first that I'll show that [itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} = -1[/itex]. So I first have to do a subsidiary calculation to find the first partial with respect to x.

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, 0) - f(0, 0)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{0 - 0}{h} = 0[/itex]

Okay, that was not so bad since f was nicely defined for us. Now here comes my problem when I try to find the second partial. Note that when I use subscripts I refer to the partial of the function with respect to that variable. So [itex]f_x = \frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{k→0} \frac{f_x(0, k) - f_x(0, k)}{k} (***)[/itex]

I'm labeling this equation (***) so I can return to it after I calculate fx(0,k). Now to calculate it :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - h^2arctan(h/k)}{h} = 0[/itex]

I think there is a typo here. The last limit should be

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h)-k^2arctan(h/k)}{h}[/tex]

This limit is not zero, I think.

Now this produces a big problem when I plug it back into (***) as I don't get the answer of -1 which I'm apparently supposed to get :

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂y∂x} (0, 0) = \lim_{k→0} \frac{f_x(0, k) - f_x(0, k)}{k} = \lim_{k→0} \frac{0 - 0}{k} = 0[/itex]

What am I doing wrong here? Have I missed something or have I done a calculation wrong?

micromass said:
I think there is a typo here. The last limit should be

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h)-k^2arctan(h/k)}{h}[/tex]

This limit is not zero, I think.

You sir, have made my day. That will teach me to speed through my calculations too quickly haha.

So really I would get :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - k^2arctan(h/k)}{h}[/itex]

and switching to polar co-ordinates ill presume will give me my desired result?

Yes, try to work in polar coordinates. I think that'll make things easy.

micromass said:
Yes, try to work in polar coordinates. I think that'll make things easy.

Hmm I've hit a hitch in my calculations again :

For h=rcosθ and k = rsinθ we get :

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} (0, k) = \lim_{h→0} \frac{f(h, k) - f(0, k)}{h} = \lim_{h→0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h) - k^2arctan(h/k)}{h} = \lim_{r→0} \frac{r^2cos^2θarctan(tanθ) - r^2sin^2arctan(cotθ)}{rcosθ}[/itex]

Which tends to 0 as r tends to 0?

Hmmm, maybe going over in polar coordinates was not a good idea after all. The problem is that [itex]h\rightarrow 0[/itex] doesn't exactly correspond to [itex]r\rightarrow 0[/itex].

I actually don't think it is too hard to calculate the original limit explicitely:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{h^2arctan(k/h)-k^2 arctan(h/k)}{h^2}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} h \cdot arctan(k/h) - k^2\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{arctan(h/k)}{h}[/tex]

The first limit is 0 (why?). The second limit can be calculated by l'Hopitals rule.

The first limit is 0 because of the squeeze theorem. After applying L'Hospital's rule I get (2h)arctan(k/h) - k and as h→0, (2h)arctan(k/h) - k → -k just like I wanted.

1. What is the definition of a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as multiple independent variables approach a specific point. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its inputs approach a certain point.

2. How is a multivariable limit evaluated?

A multivariable limit is evaluated by finding the limit of the function as each independent variable approaches the specified point individually. This involves taking the limit of the function with respect to each variable separately and then combining the results to determine the overall limit.

3. What are the properties of multivariable limits?

The properties of multivariable limits include the sum, difference, product, and quotient properties. These properties state that the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient of two or more functions is equal to the sum, difference, product, or quotient of their individual limits.

4. How does continuity relate to multivariable limits?

A function is said to be continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In the case of multivariable functions, this means that the limit of the function as all of its independent variables approach a certain point must exist and be equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of multivariable limits?

Multivariable limits have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems with multiple variables, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the flow of fluids, and the supply and demand of goods. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with multiple independent variables.