Solving Multivariable Limit: x^2y^2/(x^3+y^3)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a multivariate function using the squeeze theorem or proving the non-existence of the limit through multiple paths. The attempts to solve the problem using substitution and bounding the denominator were unsuccessful, but it was noted that the denominator changes sign depending on the quadrant while the numerator does not. The suggestion to use polar coordinates or a path given by y = xa is given, with the question of what power a would make the orders of the numerator and denominator equal.
Yuqing

Homework Statement

Find the limit of

[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (0,0)}\frac{x^2y^2}{x^3+y^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'd like to solve this in a rather elementary manner, so preferably only using the squeeze theorem or through proving the limit doesn't exist via multiple path approach.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried substituting y = mxn in general and I've tried bounding the denominator. All to no avail. All paths I've tried so far lead to 0 but I am still not certain that the limit actually exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yuqing said:
All paths I've tried so far lead to 0 but I am still not certain that the limit actually exists.
Indeed, the limit does not exist. When finding the limits of a multivariate function, it is useful to plot the function, this helps you decide on paths of approach.

However, in this case it is useful to note that the denominator changes sign depending on the quadrant, whilst the numerator does not. :wink:

Hootenanny said:
However, in this case it is useful to note that the denominator changes sign depending on the quadrant, whilst the numerator does not. :wink:

How exactly would you suggest I approach this? The biggest problem I have is that the numerator is of higher overall order than the denominator. I cannot find a path which does not take me to 0.

Try using polar coordinates.

Yuqing said:
How exactly would you suggest I approach this? The biggest problem I have is that the numerator is of higher overall order than the denominator. I cannot find a path which does not take me to 0.
Use a path given by y = xa .

For what power, a, will the orders of the numerator & denominator be equal ?

What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that involves determining the behavior of a function as multiple variables approach a particular point. It is an extension of the concept of a limit in single variable calculus.

What is the process for solving a multivariable limit?

The process for solving a multivariable limit involves taking the limit of the function as each variable approaches the given point. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation and substitution, or by using advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or Taylor series.

How do I know if a multivariable limit exists?

A multivariable limit exists if the limit of the function is the same regardless of the path or direction from which the variables approach the given point. This is known as the existence theorem for multivariable limits.

How can I simplify the expression x^2y^2/(x^3+y^3) to solve the limit?

To simplify this expression, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, cancelling out common factors, or applying properties of exponents. This will help to reduce the expression to a form that is easier to evaluate and solve for the limit.

What are some real-world applications of solving multivariable limits?

Solving multivariable limits is useful in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and to make predictions about their behavior. For example, it can be used to study the behavior of fluids in motion, the growth of populations, or the optimization of production processes.