Multivariable sample space

In summary, the probability that the sum of the balls in a bag is greater than 50 is approximately 0.95.
Kariege
Hi,
I'm currently having a lot of trouble with this probability problem. For example:
Suppose there are 5 balls in a bag with number 1,2,3,4,5. I pick a ball at random 20 times (with replacement).
Lets say the probability of each ball being picked is:
P(1) = 0.5
P(2) = 0.15
P(3) = 0.1
P(4) = 0.2
P(5) = 0.05
After I pick the ball 20 times, I sum it up. The sum is denoted as T.
I want to find the probability that T>=50. How do I go about doing this?

I'm not entirely sure if this actually links to sample space. Sample space is just something that I have in my mind. I've seen sample space where there are 2 variables, but what about more than 2?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks messy. The distribution is multinomial. For each combination you need to calculate the sum and finally add up the probabilities for those where the sum is what you want.

Mutinomial term [itex] \frac{n!}{i!j!k!l!m!}p_1^ip_2^jp_3^kp_4^lp_5^m[/itex] over all non-negative possibilities where i+j+k+l+m=n. (n=20).

Likes Kariege
You could write a little routine to work out the actual sampling distribution for the sum (probably not the most efficient use of your time)
or use the Central Limit Theorem to get an approximation.
* You have the probability distribution for the number to be drawn on each selection - find the mean and variance
* The CLT says the sum is approximately normally distributed with mean = 20 times the mean found above and variance = 20 times the mean found above
Use the appropriate normal distribution for your approximation. (You may want to use a continuity correction: I haven't looked at any of the numbers)

Likes Kariege
mathman said:
It looks messy. The distribution is multinomial. For each combination you need to calculate the sum and finally add up the probabilities for those where the sum is what you want.

Mutinomial term [itex] \frac{n!}{i!j!k!l!m!}p_1^ip_2^jp_3^kp_4^lp_5^m[/itex] over all non-negative possibilities where i+j+k+l+m=n. (n=20).

Thanks. In this context, how would you approach this using the formula?
Also why does i+j+k+l+m = 20? I'm confused.​

Last edited:
statdad said:
You could write a little routine to work out the actual sampling distribution for the sum (probably not the most efficient use of your time)
* You have the probability distribution for the number to be drawn on each selection - find the mean and variance
* The CLT says the sum is approximately normally distributed with mean = 20 times the mean found above and variance = 20 times the mean (<-- that should be variance: sorry) found above
Use the appropriate normal distribution for your approximation. (You may want to use a continuity correction: I haven't looked at any of the numbers)

statdad said:
* The CLT says the sum is approximately normally distributed with mean = 20 times the mean found above and variance = 20 times the mean found above

Thanks for the reply.
CLT is quite a new concept to me but I think this can help me to solve the problem.
Sry if this is quite a stupid question but how would you find the mean and the variance in this case? Is it similar to finding the mean and variance of a frequency table because this is a probability table?

"Is it similar to finding the mean and variance of a frequency table because this is a probability table?"

Yes - make a table, row 1 the different numbers that could be picked, row 2 the probabilities you've assigned, and work as though they were frequencies. Here is an example (I simply picked the first page that popped up in a search)

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/random-variables-mean-variance.html

1. What is a multivariable sample space?

A multivariable sample space is a mathematical concept used in probability and statistics to describe the set of all possible outcomes of multiple variables or events. It is often represented as a chart or matrix with rows and columns representing different variables and their respective outcomes.

2. How is a multivariable sample space different from a univariable sample space?

A multivariable sample space differs from a univariable sample space in that it considers multiple variables and their potential outcomes, rather than just one variable. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the relationships and probabilities between different variables.

3. What is the importance of understanding a multivariable sample space?

Understanding a multivariable sample space is important because it allows for a more accurate and thorough analysis of complex data sets. It also helps in making predictions and decisions based on the relationships between different variables.

4. How is a multivariable sample space used in real-life scenarios?

A multivariable sample space is commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering to analyze and predict outcomes based on multiple variables. For example, it can be used to predict the success of a marketing campaign based on various factors such as demographics, pricing, and advertising strategies.

5. Can a multivariable sample space be visualized?

Yes, a multivariable sample space can be visualized in various ways, such as using charts, graphs, or tables. These visualizations help to better understand the relationships between different variables and their outcomes, making it easier to analyze and interpret the data.