Mutual Inductance for a Pair of Coils

In summary, the conversation discusses the mutual inductance of a pair of coils, specifically a large 400 turn circular coil (coil A) and a smaller 160 turn circular coil (coil B) located 92.0 cm away along the same axis. The planes of the two coils are parallel. The conversation also mentions finding the magnitude of the EMF induced in coil B at a specific time, t = 1.0 s, when the current in coil A varies according to a given function. The resulting equation for mutual inductance involves the number of turns, radii, and distance between the coils, and can be calculated by finding the flux and dividing it by the current.
mjk71

Homework Statement

[URL]http://nplq1.phyast.pitt.edu/res/csm/csmphyslib/type66_inductance/PairOfCoils.jpg[/URL]
Coil A is a large 400 turn circular coil of radius 91.0 cm. Circular coil B has 160 turns, a radius of 2.0 cm and is located L = 92.0 cm from coil A along the same axis. The planes of the two coils are parallel. 1.) Find approximately the mutual inductance of this pair of coils. 2.) If the current in coil A varies with time according to I = 14t3 - 59t2 - 1, where I is in amps and t is in s, find the magnitude of the EMF induced in coil B at time t = 1.0 s.

N1 = 400 turns
N2 = 160 turns
R1 = .02 m
R2 = .91 m
L = .92 m
t = 1.0 s
I(t) = 14t3 - 59t2 - 1

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon[/tex]L = N1N2[tex]\Pi[/tex]R22/2R1 * di(t)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve for mutual inductance by: N1N2*pi*R22/2R1
And then multiplied by the derivative of I(t) at t=1.0s for the induced emf, but I'm not getting the correct answer. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mjk71 :smile:

Welcome to PF !

Was the mutual inductance you got correct?

Unfortunately, no.

Its really late here ... I'll answer your question in morning ..:zzz:

Hi mjk71 :smile:

The situation is somethinglike this

attachment.php?attachmentid=33481&stc=1&d=1300981359.png

let there be a current i in bigger loop. find the field on axis of bigger loop at the distance where smaller loop is placed

find flux and then divide it by i
you'll get inductance M

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,173

FAQ: Mutual Inductance for a Pair of Coils

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the magnetic coupling between two coils, where a change in current in one coil induces a voltage in the other coil.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated by taking the ratio of the induced voltage in one coil to the rate of change of current in the other coil.

3. What factors affect mutual inductance?

The factors that affect mutual inductance include the number of turns in each coil, the distance between the coils, and the permeability of the material between the coils.

4. How is mutual inductance used in practical applications?

Mutual inductance is used in transformers, where it allows for the efficient transfer of energy between two coils. It is also used in electronic devices, such as inductors, to store and regulate energy.

5. What is the difference between mutual inductance and self inductance?

Mutual inductance refers to the interaction between two separate coils, whereas self inductance refers to the ability of a single coil to resist changes in current flowing through it.