My book's throwing equations out of nowhere

• Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about a book throwing equations without an explanation. The formula in question is 1 + 2∑k = 1 ^ n cos kα = sin(n + 1/2)α / sin(α/2). The person is struggling to prove it and asks for help, and is eventually given hints involving de Moivre's formula and cis(z).
VietDao29
Homework Helper
My book's throwing equations out of nowhere!

On proving one theorem, my book says:
[tex]1 + 2\sum_{k = 1} ^ {n} \cos k \alpha = \frac{\sin \left( n + \frac{1}{2} \right) \alpha}{\sin \frac{\alpha}{2}}[/tex]
I have no idea where that formula comes from :confused:, and I tried in vain proving it, but I failed. :cry: Can anybody gives me a hint?
Thank you,
Any help will be appreciated,
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you try? If I remember, it's pretty easy.

Think de Moivre! :)

[tex]2\sin\left(\frac{a}{2}\right)\cos(k a)=\sin\left(k a+\frac{a}{2}\right) \ - \ \sin\left(k a-\frac{a}{2}\right)[/tex]
so
[tex]\cos(k a)=\frac{\sin\left(k a+\frac{a}{2}\right) \ - \ \sin\left(k a-\frac{a}{2}\right)}{2\sin\left(\frac{a}{2}\right)}[/tex]

Thanks, After hours of struggling, I realized that it could be proved by induction. Not very hard, though. :smile:
And I also tried lurflurf's way. Thanks.
Thanks a lot,
But... I still don't know how to prove it using de Moivre's formula...
[tex](\cos x + i\sin x) ^ n = \cos (nx) + i \sin (nx)[/tex]
How can I do from there?
Viet Dao,

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that cos(nz) = Re[ cis(z)^n ]

( cis(z) := cos z + i sin z = exp(z) )

Thanks a lot, guys. :smile:
Viet Dao,

1. What is the purpose of including equations in a book?

Equations are often used in scientific and mathematical texts to provide a concise and precise way of representing complex relationships or ideas. They can also help in making calculations and predictions.

2. How can I understand the equations in the book if I am not familiar with math?

It may be helpful to do some background research or consult with a math expert to gain a basic understanding of the concepts and symbols used in the equations. Additionally, many books include explanations or examples to help readers understand the equations.

3. Why are there so many equations in the book?

The number of equations in a book may vary depending on the subject matter and level of complexity. In scientific and mathematical texts, equations are often necessary to fully explain and illustrate the concepts being discussed.

4. Can I skip over the equations and still understand the book?

While it may be possible to understand the general concepts in the book without fully understanding the equations, it is recommended to at least have a basic understanding of the equations in order to fully comprehend the material.

5. Are the equations in the book accurate and reliable?

The equations in the book should be based on established theories and principles, and should be thoroughly researched and reviewed before being published. However, it is always important to critically evaluate the information and sources presented in any book.