My browser allowed pop-ups

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about pop-ups on the speaker's browser and a boxing glove cursor that appeared with an advertisement for knocking out Osama bin Laden to win an Xbox 360. The speaker also mentions using Adblock and Flashblock to prevent similar ads and warns about potential tracking cookies.
JamesU
Gold Member
for some reason, my browser allowed pop-ups. so I got a pop-up here where my cursor was a boxing glove and osama bin laden was wandering around th screen...if I knocked him out, I'd win an Xbox 360

hmmm...

what's with these ads

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you KO him?

yeah, got ím in the head, than the waist. :approve:

Welcome to like five or so years ago?

I don't see what's special about this...

EDIT: No wonder your computer took forever to start up :rofl:

Last edited:
Get Adblock for firefox, if that's what your using. I also like flashblock.

You best go toss your cookies, those kind of ad's normally hit you with tracking cookies.

1. Why are there pop-ups on my browser?

Pop-ups are a type of advertisement that appear in a separate window or tab when you are browsing the internet. They are typically used by websites to promote products or services, and can be allowed or blocked by your browser's settings.

2. Are pop-ups harmful to my computer?

While some pop-ups may contain malicious content, most are harmless and simply serve as a form of advertising. However, it is important to be cautious and only click on pop-ups from trusted sources.

3. How do I enable or disable pop-ups on my browser?

The process for enabling or disabling pop-ups varies depending on which browser you are using. In general, you can find the pop-up settings under the "Privacy" or "Content" section of your browser's settings. From there, you can choose to block all pop-ups or allow pop-ups from specific websites.

4. Can I control which pop-ups appear on my browser?

Yes, most browsers allow you to control which pop-ups appear by giving you the option to block or allow pop-ups from specific websites. You can also adjust your browser's settings to only allow pop-ups when you click on a link or button.

5. Why do I keep getting pop-ups even though I have them blocked?

Some websites may use strategies to bypass pop-up blockers, or the pop-ups could be coming from another program or extension on your computer. It is important to regularly check and update your pop-up settings and scan your computer for any potential malware.