1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My next step

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    OK, I'm teaching myself all the stuff I didn't learn in high school. I just finished up college algebra with trig, and now I don't know which way to go from here. I was thinking maybe I should get a good geometry textbook and go with that, or maybe some more trig or more advanced algebra. I don't know. What is the most natural route from one subject to the other?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Calculus.

- Warren

4. May 11, 2009 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Beginning Calculus or "Calculus 1" is the most popular next choice. You could choose Geometry if you did not learn it well earlier, but you just finished studying a "Pre-Calculus" book and this has prepared you for studying Beginning Calculus; best to start it now while you are still fresh. Besides, you can always choose Geometry later.

5. May 12, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the replies, folks! So calculus it is. I have a beginning textbook. So, after that, what is the next natural course? Do I just go on to calc II, or linear algebra, or what? I just want to put together a natural curriculum to follow, and not jump around blindly. What are the tried and true courses?

6. May 14, 2009 #5
    What's your ultimate goal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook