Navigating Math After High School: Where to Go Next?

In summary, the most natural route from college algebra with trig is to move on to Beginning Calculus or "Calculus 1." This is the most popular next choice and is recommended since you have just finished studying a "Pre-Calculus" book. From there, you can choose to continue with Calculus II, linear algebra, or other courses depending on your ultimate goal.
DecayProduct
OK, I'm teaching myself all the stuff I didn't learn in high school. I just finished up college algebra with trig, and now I don't know which way to go from here. I was thinking maybe I should get a good geometry textbook and go with that, or maybe some more trig or more advanced algebra. I don't know. What is the most natural route from one subject to the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus.

- Warren

Beginning Calculus or "Calculus 1" is the most popular next choice. You could choose Geometry if you did not learn it well earlier, but you just finished studying a "Pre-Calculus" book and this has prepared you for studying Beginning Calculus; best to start it now while you are still fresh. Besides, you can always choose Geometry later.

Thanks for the replies, folks! So calculus it is. I have a beginning textbook. So, after that, what is the next natural course? Do I just go on to calc II, or linear algebra, or what? I just want to put together a natural curriculum to follow, and not jump around blindly. What are the tried and true courses?

What's your ultimate goal?

Related to Navigating Math After High School: Where to Go Next?

1. What options do I have for continuing my math education after high school?

There are several options for continuing your math education after high school. You can attend a four-year college or university, a community college, or a technical or vocational school. You can also take online courses or enroll in a math-focused program at a specialized school.

2. How do I choose the right college or program for my math education?

When choosing a college or program for your math education, consider factors such as the curriculum and courses offered, the reputation of the institution, the availability of research opportunities, and the location and cost of the program. It is also important to consider your career goals and whether the program will provide the necessary skills and knowledge to achieve them.

3. Is a math degree necessary for a career in mathematics?

A math degree is not always necessary for a career in mathematics. Depending on the specific field or job, a degree in a related field such as engineering, computer science, or physics may also be applicable. However, a math degree can provide a strong foundation and specialized knowledge in mathematics, which can be beneficial for certain careers.

4. Are there any alternative options for pursuing a math education?

Yes, there are alternative options for pursuing a math education, such as self-study or attending workshops and seminars. You can also join a math club or participate in math competitions to enhance your skills. Additionally, there are online resources and open courseware available for free that can help you learn and practice math concepts.

5. What types of careers are available for those with a math education?

A math education can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, engineering, teaching, and research. Some specific job titles may include mathematician, actuary, data scientist, financial analyst, and teacher. A math education can also provide valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical reasoning, which are applicable to a wide range of industries and careers.