• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

My next step

OK, I'm teaching myself all the stuff I didn't learn in high school. I just finished up college algebra with trig, and now I don't know which way to go from here. I was thinking maybe I should get a good geometry textbook and go with that, or maybe some more trig or more advanced algebra. I don't know. What is the most natural route from one subject to the other?

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Calculus.

- Warren

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Beginning Calculus or "Calculus 1" is the most popular next choice. You could choose Geometry if you did not learn it well earlier, but you just finished studying a "Pre-Calculus" book and this has prepared you for studying Beginning Calculus; best to start it now while you are still fresh. Besides, you can always choose Geometry later.

Thanks for the replies, folks! So calculus it is. I have a beginning textbook. So, after that, what is the next natural course? Do I just go on to calc II, or linear algebra, or what? I just want to put together a natural curriculum to follow, and not jump around blindly. What are the tried and true courses?

What's your ultimate goal?