Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My potential supervisor is SO hot

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    My potential supervisor is SO hot!!!

long time no see...

I just have to let this out somewhere. and Here is the only place I can do this! forgive me!

So... OMG!!!!!!!! SOOOO HOTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHMYGOD!!!!!! lollollol

ok, so I'm on the course, and we have to choose supervisors for our projects. so I've been visiting potential supervisors. and there is one really interesting project, and the supervisor is super nice and super nice and super nice!!!!!!!!! and super nice! as in really hot. But more than that! lol.

No seriously, as in kind and professional, and caring! and knows that I don't know ANYTHING! and doesn't expect me to know anything either. But not in a patronising way. Yeah... its so strange! Anyway, so I was trying to be really chill and not freak out or stare inappropriately. And he basically talked about the project for like 45 minutes straight! I understood like half of what he was saying... the rest was kind of blank stares from me and him drawing pictures to explain...

Anyway, so what I want to ask is this: Should I choose his project or not?

Pro: interesting project, lots I would learn, get to be trained by hot supervisor 1 on 1!!!!!!! and stare at him for 6 months every day.

Con: What if it gets really awkward...?!!!!!!! Obviously I'ma gonna be really professional and not do stupid things. But what if he doesn't like me and I feel really rejected and start getting down and feeling inadequate? Or what if I start finding him irritating or something? You know they say its a fine line between love and hate!

Should I try to find a equally interesting project with a supervisor who I feel indifferent about?

Well, right now my mind is all clouded up so the obvious answer is NO! and plus, I like him mostly because of the way he thinks anyway. yes... action justified!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: My potential supervisor is SO hot!!!

Do you like the subject of the project?? Do you like the explanations of your potential supervisor?? I think these things are a bit more important that how hot the guy is :tongue2:

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3

Hi Micro!

The subject... meh! Its about some pathway and I hate pathways! but I think I will have to grow to like them because everything is about pathways...

But I DO like the way he explains stuff! Its very good! I like the way he thinks about making the experiments conclusive...?! Well, making the results indisputable anyway :)

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

I wonder what would happen if we actually got together...? lol I think it would go downhill very quickly!

It wouldn't be hot anymore if it was real!

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5

To be honest, its not even the way he looks! Its like something else. Its definitely personality. yes, thats it! :p

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not good D:

That's good.

But know that if you DO take him, then you will likely end up being disappointed in him. Nobody is perfect. Sure, you like him now. But what if he tells you that your work was wrong and that you should start again. Can you handle that? Such things can be very heavy!!
    What if he starts pushing you to do more work while you are already drowning in work?? What if he doesn't really seem interested in the project??

His hotness is a pro, but I think it's much more important that your personalities match. If you're an easy-going person, then your advisor should be as well. If you're a workaholic, then your advisor should be as well. Etc.
    Not matching personalities can cause LOTS of grief.

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It might be a good idea to email him some interesting questions about his project? This might show that you're interested...

9. Jan 30, 2012 #8

omg GOT A PIC?:ddDDD

10. Jan 30, 2012 #9

NO!!!

11. Jan 30, 2012 #10

But he's taller than me by a bit, and kinda buff... lol what a rare find! a buff professor!!! and has no ring on his finger! but that might just be for practical reasons. like older than me, but not too old. and you can tell he works hard cos he has thinking lines on his face...

12. Jan 30, 2012 #11

:))) and I wonder if he smiles? cos he didnt really smile properly when I met him... interesting...

13. Jan 30, 2012 #12

soooo hot..... and he wears black shirts... so HOT!!!!!!

14. Jan 30, 2012 #13

If he's over 35 yrs old hes too old mate.

15. Jan 30, 2012 #14

Nothing is too old. But holy crap, you seem to be excited!! If you found someone that makes you enjoy learning something you probably have to learn like you said, then I suggest you throw yourself at him

16. Jan 30, 2012 #15

Good lord, just focus on the project okay? If you're into the whole "I like-like teachers" thing, just date a high school teacher and be done with it. There's far too much trouble you could get into by trying to go out/have a fling with a prof.

Rules may vary from uni to uni but if I'm not mistaken, even when student-prof relationships are "okay", they aren't allowed if the student is taking their class?

17. Jan 30, 2012 #16

Wow, this guy has really got you in a tizzy. If he were your supervisor do you think you would ever be able to get anything done or would you just stare and day dream about him every minute of every day?

18. Jan 30, 2012 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Watch out, NG! You should protect your own academic integrity before engaging in any dalliance, however slight. Some things last longer than others.

19. Jan 31, 2012 #18

Dembadon

Gold Member

Sound advice.

Proceed with caution, nucleargirl! :wink:

20. Jan 31, 2012 #19

:))) thanks for the advice.

Today he e-mailed back! and basically it was only 6 words but it means he's ok with it if I choose his project, and that he doesn't dislike me. hopefully. Ahhhh!!!!! I've lost interest in all the other projects now! and I've become paranoid someone else from the class will also choose his project!!! NO¬!

ah.... what to do? I'm almost tempted to read his project properly and think of some questions to ask him and look even more interested so he will choose me! hm... but I'm also scared of being really obvious if I do meet him again... I think he could tell last time!

:)))

21. Jan 31, 2012 #20

Haha wait, this project is part of your degree and you're almost tempted to read it properly? This sounds like it could end in tears!! Maybe you should go for something you really want to do? :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook