How can you prove the N choose k formula without using a formula?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that for m,n \geq2, the formula \left(\begin{array}{cc}m+n\\2\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}m\\2\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\2\end{array}\right) + mn can be proven using the given formula \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right) = \frac{a!}{(a - b)!b!} and algebra. It is also mentioned that the proof can be done without using the formula, possibly by using Pascal's triangle or
mattmns
Hello.

I have the following problem: Show that for [tex]m,n \geq2[/tex],

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}m+n\\2\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}m\\2\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\2\end{array}\right) + mn[/tex]

by using the formula

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right) = \frac{a!}{(a - b)!b!} [/tex]

and algebra. Prove it again without using this formula.

The first part was quite easy, but I am not sure how I could solve the second (bold) part without using a formula. Am I supposed to use a definition or something of that nature? I just am not seeing it, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could use Pascal's triangle and note that the third item in row N is the sum of the items in the third diagonal with values [itex]1+2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot \+ N-1[/itex] which is just an arithmetic series.

Take two disjoint sets, one having m elements and the other having n elements, and count the number of 2-subsets of their union in two different ways.

FAQ: How can you prove the N choose k formula without using a formula?

1. What is the "N choose k like problem"?

The "N choose k like problem" refers to a combinatorial problem in which you have a set of N objects and you need to choose k of them in a specific order. This is commonly known as the "combination" problem.

2. How many possible combinations are there in the "N choose k like problem"?

The number of possible combinations in the "N choose k like problem" can be calculated using the formula nCk = n!/k!(n-k)!, where n is the total number of objects and k is the number of objects to be chosen. This results in a total of nCk combinations.

3. What is the difference between "N choose k like problem" and "N choose k unlike problem"?

The main difference between these two problems is the order in which the objects are selected. In the "N choose k like problem", the order of the chosen objects matters, while in the "N choose k unlike problem", the order does not matter. This is commonly known as the "permutation" problem.

4. How can the "N choose k like problem" be useful in real-life situations?

The "N choose k like problem" can be used in various fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. It can help in determining the number of possible outcomes in a given situation and can be applied to solve problems in decision making, data analysis, and pattern recognition.

5. Is there a way to efficiently solve the "N choose k like problem"?

Yes, there are various methods to efficiently solve the "N choose k like problem" such as using the formula mentioned in question 2, using a combination calculator or using programming languages to generate combinations. The most efficient method may vary depending on the value of n and k, but using a combination calculator can be the quickest and easiest option.